Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default When the recipe calls for 'vegetable oil'

On Apr 14, 6:52*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> wrote:
> > What do you use?

> > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > in baked goods?

> > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > doomed in the kitchen?)

> Given the choices you have on hand you should use canola oil.

Opinions differ. Some folks perceive canola as tasteless. Others
don't, and I'm among them. I find peanut more neutral. I think that
most people agree that pricey safflower oil is pretty tasteless.

So canola or peanut, depending on your taste.

--Bryan http://www.TheBonobos.com