Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig is offline

Default When the recipe calls for 'vegetable oil'

On Apr 14, 7:22*pm, Dan S.
> wrote:
> > What do you use?

> > I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> > - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> > in baked goods?

> > This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> > cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> > doomed in the kitchen?)

> Vegetable oil is neutrally flavored as a rule. *In some dishes, I can
> taste canola and find it fishy. *But, as a rule, I use canola - and if
> I'm worried that the flavor will come through, crisco vegetable oil or
> extra virgin olive oil.
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.
> Befuddlin' teh hope since 2009

Years ago I helped settle a family of Russian emigrants from the
Ukraine. We stocked their kitchen with basics before they came as we
knew their food stamps would be pretty meager. We got them in nice
big bottle of "vegetable oil" - the store brand. They couldn't use it
(they tried, bless 'em) but they went to the store (speaking almost no
English) and somehow communicated that they wanted sunflower oil - who
knew? There's a HUGE sunflower oil refinery less than 100 miles from
Fargo . . .
Lynn in Fargo
PS: in less than 8 months the dad had a good job at a company that
makes medium sized tractors. He had been an engineer in Russia.
They put him to work, he worked on his English and within the second
year they were sending him to the Ukraine to consult with the folks
marketing the tractors!