Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kris[_1_] Kris[_1_] is offline

Default When the recipe calls for 'vegetable oil'

On Apr 14, 7:35*pm, wrote:
> What do you use?
>
> I have grapeseed, canola, olive, sesame on hand, but always hesitate
> - do you have some kind of guideline as to what you'll use? What about
> in baked goods?
>
> This is almost as bad as 'shortening' - I hate that. *Spell it out,
> cookbook writers. *(I don't own Crisco or lard and never will -- am I
> doomed in the kitchen?)

Depends on what it is. For most savory cooking, I use olive oil. For
baking, I used vegetable oil or veg shortening (unless it calls for
butter of course).

Crisco is not all bad. Some baking recipes call for it because it
makes a softer cookie, etc, etc than just butter alone. Don't rule it
out, just buy in small quantities.

Kris