Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Yummy vegetables

. ..

> Asparagus does have a strong flavor. I only like the young, slender
> asparagus (not the heavier, older stalks). It's one of those things that
> seems to be an acquired taste, but you could easily leave it off and/or
> add other veggies.

As a child, we seemed to have a lot of canned asparagus. I can not think of
anything more vile.

My friend was going on and on about how good the asparagus was last year.
She told me that canned asparagus was indeed vile but the fresh stuff was
yummy. Now mind you, this is the friend that starts retching at the mere
mention of coconut. She also can not stand peppers or onions. We do not
have the same tastes at all.

I made some asparagus for my husband. He loves the stuff. I used to steam
it, but now I just do it in the microwave with a little water. My friend
said it was really good even cold, with lots of butter on it. So that's how
we made his. But I took two spears out prior to buttering it and gave one
to Angela who was eager to try it after my friend described it so glowingly.

She bit into the spear and immediately began spitting it into the trash.
Once her mouth was cleared, she began nastily berating me for giving it to
her. I said, "It can't be that bad..." Then I bit into my spear. I had
the same reaction. For me it is a textural thing. I can't even stand to
have it raw.