Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food
Nate Lau[_2_] Nate Lau[_2_] is offline

Default Original Charcoal - Rancher's Natural Charcoal

On Apr 9, 5:04*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. *It's not looking too good
> for many of us trying to find this charcoal. *We don't have Trader Joe's
> in Texas. *And no Orchard Supply. *The company is in North Carolina, but
> their distribution is mostly California.
>
> The freight company I use wants $329 to ship 1300lbs to Austin. *Which
> seems kinda high. *That would make it about $9.70/bag ($.54/lb). *Doesn't
> seem worth it considering local lump is @ < $.40/lb.
>
> Here's the email I received:
>
> Hi Steve,
> Thank you for your email. *I am forwarding it to our contact with Costco
> and Home Depot.
>
> We have been supplanted at Costco and Home Depot for the Clorox Chemical
> Company's Kingsford "Competition blend". *This despite the fact that we
> would be over 40% less expensive at Costco and 1/2 the price of what Home
> Depot charges for the chemical company's brand!!! *Also, despite
> out-selling the chemical brand in each chain during the time that we were
> there.
>
> Please feel free to mention this on the forums:
>
> -TRADER JOE'S: * *RANCHER is selling at Trader Joe's across the country
> for $6.99/18lb($0.39/lb).
>
> -COSTCO: * *Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is $16.59 for 33lbs
> ($0.50/lb) !!!23% higher price than All-Natural RANCHER!!!
>
> -HOME DEPOT and LOWES: * *Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is
> $8.99 for 12lbs ($.075/lb) !!!48.2% higher price than All-Natural RANCHER!!!
>
> -Orchard Supply Hardwa * *Will carry RANCHER for a Memorial Day
> promotion well below the Costco price.
>
> We can ship pallet quantity direct for $350 (70X18LBS), plus freight as
> quoted by freightquotes.com. *We have been shipping pallets and even 1//2
> truck loads to individuals and groups around the country. *Please let us
> know what we can do for you. Thank you for your interest and support.
>
> Enjoy the day,
> Eric [Krause]

Are we talking lump here, or natural briquettes? Too bad they got
supplanted by "the chemical company". This is what I meant by them
squeezing out the little guy. Interesting that their retail price is
higher than Original Charcoal. Wonder what made Costco and HD
switch.

I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for the OSH Memorial Day
special. Although I think by then I'd have bought another 40 lb bag of
mesquite lump from Smart and Final.

Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA