Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Need suggestions for healthy food bars for travel

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> >

>> : Thanks for the suggestions, Julie. My reference to low carbe really
>> was a
>> : little vague, and also inaccurate. I try to avoid all the "white
>> stuff"
>> : (flour, potatoes, refined sugar, etc.), but I eat lots of fresh fruit,
>> : veggies, etc. So the GoRaw pumpkin seed bars sounds interesting. I'll
>> go
>> : online and see if I can find a source for them. Everything I have seen
>> so
>> : far has cane syrup and/or honey for sweetening. I would rather have
>> just
>> : the fruit as flavoring. I do plan to take quite a few nuts, and I am
>> going
>> : to put a small jar of peanut butter in my checked luggage. I think the
>> : problem with liquids or "soft" products like peanut butter is limited
>> on
>> : carryon luggage, but I'm going to look into that. I think preserved
>> meats
>> : may be on the "unacceptable" list when entering another country, but I
>> have
>> : to verify all that. Fortunately, Greece should be a great place to buy
>> the
>> : type of food I want once I get there, so I'm primarily thinking about
>> the
>> : long airplane ride both ways, a lot of travel by bus, and supplies if
>> we
>> : don't stop frequently enough for the way I eat. I learned a long time
>> ago
>> : that I should have a small snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon to keep
>> my
>> : sugar stable.
>>
>> : MaryL
>>
>> I find that of all the dried fruits, dried apricots work pretty well for
>> me as a snack, etc. I can et UP TO 4 without spiking in teh afternoon.
>> they can, in no way, be considered as a liqquid:-)
>>
>> Wendy

> Good idea. I think I'll take several types of dried fruit -- raisins,
> apricots, cranberries -- plus a lot of nuts (especially almonds and
> walnuts).
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

Mary I used to make my own "trail mix" of stuff I could eat.

A friend recently bought a food dryer for making dried banana chips, apple
slices, etc. You could probably dry some vegetables too.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world