Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Need suggestions for healthy food bars for travel

I am planning a trip to Greece and Turkey, primarily Greece with a one-day
stop in Turkey. The food should be ideal once I get there (Mediterranean
diet). However, I am concerned about the airplane trip and also about
travel on the bus. Can anyone recommend a low-carb (and hopefully tasty)
food bar?--the name and also where I could order it. I checked with our
health food store, and even they do not have anything suitable. Every bar
they have is high carb and includes items like cane syrup and honey. Even
their dried fruit has cane syrup. I have not eaten anything like that for 5
years, and I would like to find some emergency supplies to take with me.
There are some special diets available on the airplane, such as vegetarian
or diabetic, but each of them presents some difficulties. Many places serve
inappropriate carbs (in my opinion) on a diabetic diet, and I am also
allergic to fish. Vegetarian diets often include a lot of bread. I may
take some peanut butter sandwiches with Ezekiel bread (a flourless bread
made from sprouted grains), carrots, and apples on the plane; but I would
also like something to have in the hotels once I arrive. I will not be able
to take those items into the country with me.

Thanks,
MaryL