Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Wild Irish salmon

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It happens in Ireland too, it seems.
>
> Irish Independent, Tuesday March 24 2009
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cb7wh7
>
> "A BATCH of seafood from an exclusive fishmongers which was labelled
> as 'wild salmon' was found to be farmed under DNA tests, a court heard
> yesterday."

The so-called "wild" Atlantic salmon that spawns in some Maine rivers was
restocked with farmed fish many decades ago. (Possibly from Canadian
stock....I no longer recall the details.) While it is now "wild" --in terms
of lifestyle, anyway--I'd venture to guess that it would fail a DNA test
that attempted to distinguish it from some farmed stock.