Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wild Irish salmon

Hello All!

It happens in Ireland too, it seems.

Irish Independent, Tuesday March 24 2009

http://tinyurl.com/cb7wh7

"A BATCH of seafood from an exclusive fishmongers which was labelled as
'wild salmon' was found to be farmed under DNA tests, a court heard
yesterday."

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It happens in Ireland too, it seems.
>
> Irish Independent, Tuesday March 24 2009
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cb7wh7
>
> "A BATCH of seafood from an exclusive fishmongers which was labelled
> as 'wild salmon' was found to be farmed under DNA tests, a court heard
> yesterday."

The so-called "wild" Atlantic salmon that spawns in some Maine rivers was
restocked with farmed fish many decades ago. (Possibly from Canadian
stock....I no longer recall the details.) While it is now "wild" --in terms
of lifestyle, anyway--I'd venture to guess that it would fail a DNA test
that attempted to distinguish it from some farmed stock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 9:31*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
> > Hello All!

> > It happens in Ireland too, it seems.

> > Irish Independent, Tuesday March 24 2009

> >http://tinyurl.com/cb7wh7

> > "A BATCH of seafood from an exclusive fishmongers which was labelled
> > as 'wild salmon' was found to be farmed under DNA tests, a court heard
> > yesterday."

> The so-called "wild" Atlantic salmon that spawns in some Maine rivers was
> restocked with farmed fish many decades ago. (Possibly from Canadian
> stock....I no longer recall the details.) While it is now "wild" --in terms
> of lifestyle, anyway--I'd venture to guess that it would fail a DNA test
> that attempted to distinguish it from some farmed stock.

I always buy wild Alaskan or Pacific salmon. I don't think I've ever
had Atlantic salmon.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Mar 24, 9:31 am, "Janet" > wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
> > Hello All!

> > It happens in Ireland too, it seems.

> > Irish Independent, Tuesday March 24 2009

> >http://tinyurl.com/cb7wh7

> > "A BATCH of seafood from an exclusive fishmongers which was labelled
> > as 'wild salmon' was found to be farmed under DNA tests, a court heard
> > yesterday."

> The so-called "wild" Atlantic salmon that spawns in some Maine rivers was
> restocked with farmed fish many decades ago. (Possibly from Canadian
> stock....I no longer recall the details.) While it is now "wild" --in
> terms
> of lifestyle, anyway--I'd venture to guess that it would fail a DNA test
> that attempted to distinguish it from some farmed stock.

I always buy wild Alaskan or Pacific salmon. I don't think I've ever
had Atlantic salmon.

If you buy it frozen, be careful and look at the label. A lot of frozen,
wild Pacific salmon is "Product of China"!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

boulanger wrote on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:51:43 -0600:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Mar 24, 9:31 am, "Janet" > wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:
> >> Hello All!

> >> It happens in Ireland too, it seems.

> >> Irish Independent, Tuesday March 24 2009

> >> http://tinyurl.com/cb7wh7

> >> "A BATCH of seafood from an exclusive fishmongers which was
> >> labelled as 'wild salmon' was found to be farmed under DNA tests, a
> >> court heard yesterday."

>> The so-called "wild" Atlantic salmon that spawns in some
>> Maine rivers was restocked with farmed fish many decades ago.
>> (Possibly from Canadian stock....I no longer recall the
>> details.) While it is now "wild" --in terms of lifestyle,
>> anyway--I'd venture to guess that it would fail a DNA
>> test that attempted to distinguish it from some farmed stock.

> I always buy wild Alaskan or Pacific salmon. I don't think
> I've ever had Atlantic salmon.
> __________________________________________________ ______

Smoked salmon from Ireland, Scotland and Norway is made from Atlantic
salmon, a different species from Pacific salmon. Whether it is "wild" or
farmed is sometimes unclear but it's usually expensive. Personally, my
favorite is alder smoked Pacific salmon and I believe the Indians
invented that.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 11:51*am, "boulanger" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message

> On Mar 24, 9:31 am, "Janet" > wrote:
>

> > James Silverton wrote:
> > > Hello All!

> > > It happens in Ireland too, it seems.

> > > Irish Independent, Tuesday March 24 2009

> > >http://tinyurl.com/cb7wh7

> > > "A BATCH of seafood from an exclusive fishmongers which was labelled
> > > as 'wild salmon' was found to be farmed under DNA tests, a court heard
> > > yesterday."

> > The so-called "wild" Atlantic salmon that spawns in some Maine rivers was
> > restocked with farmed fish many decades ago. (Possibly from Canadian
> > stock....I no longer recall the details.) While it is now "wild" --in
> > terms
> > of lifestyle, anyway--I'd venture to guess that it would fail a DNA test
> > that attempted to distinguish it from some farmed stock.

> I always buy wild Alaskan or Pacific salmon. *I don't think I've ever
> had Atlantic salmon.
> __________________________________________________ ______
>
> If you buy it frozen, be careful and look at the label. *A lot of frozen,
> wild Pacific salmon is "Product of China"!!!!!!!!!!- Hide quoted text -

I buy it out of the seafood/fish case - probably frozen at one time,
but the little tag signs say exactly where it came from, and I believe
them....so far.

N.

Alaskan Wild Salmon A Moose in Love General Cooking 14 06-03-2012 01:48 AM
Tea Poached Wild Salmon Anna Tea 0 06-02-2007 09:00 PM
Poached Salmon with Irish Butter Sauce Preston Pittman Recipes (moderated) 0 07-08-2005 06:30 AM
Wild Salmon? Nancy Young General Cooking 2 17-04-2004 04:48 AM
Wild Sockeye Salmon WildSalmon Guys Barbecue 7 12-03-2004 09:25 PM