Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default use of filtered water in cooking and home

"Janet Wilder" > wrote >
> I have a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink. It has a spigot
> thing on the sink and we use that water for drinking and cooking. It is
> also hooked to the water line for the ice maker and water dispenser on the
> fridge.
>
> We rent the system from Culligan. They service it, including changing the
> filters. It costs $45 for 2 months and is about what we were paying for
> bottles water. Our regular tap water tastes terrible.

Why pray tell are you renting it. You are paying $250 a year for something
you can buy outright at Lowes and elsewhere for under $200. An RO filter
needs service only once a year to once every two years depending on usage
volume... the RO membrane is good for like ten years. Servicving entails
changing a couple of disposable cartridges, using a few alcohol wipes on the
fitting threads, and recharging the tank pressure with a bicycle pump. In
ten years you will have paid $2,500 for what should cost more like $600.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...everse+osmosis