Old 20-03-2009, 08:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default use of filtered water in cooking and home

Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

Old 20-03-2009, 10:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phil..c" wrote in message
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

I have a dual inline filter I use for drinking and cooking but I don't use
it to boil pasta.

Tom

Old 20-03-2009, 10:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phil..c" wrote in message
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

Our town water tastes terrible so I have a carbon filter in the cold water
line to the kitchen. Any cold water used there is filtered.

Old 20-03-2009, 11:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 4:19*am, "phil..c" wrote:
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so *how many *use it in cooking ?

For discussion

We use a filter jug (Brita) for drinking water. I used to use it for
making tea, ice cubes, etc. but I've been lazy lately and using tap
water for cooking,

Kris
Old 20-03-2009, 12:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phil..c" wrote in message
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

We live in the bush so we have rainwater tanks for everything but if I had
to consume the stuff they have in town I'd be filtering it for sure.
Or replacing it with wine or something. It's gross.

Hoges in WA

Old 20-03-2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phil..c" wrote in message
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

I have an RO filter, I use that filtered water for drinking, coffee, ice
cubes, and all cooking except for where the water will not be retained, like
boiling pasta, boiling eggs, etc. And since I have my own private well all
my water is sterilized with a UV lamp. I also have a water softener for all
water except for hose bibs and the RO filter.

Old 20-03-2009, 02:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phil..c" wrote in news:gpvjip$5q6$1
@news.motzarella.org:

Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

This is the scummy prick stalker/troll who used to go by the names of
"spamlister", "tired-phil", "pits08" and "pits09"

Oh!!!! And we mustn't forget "nemisis"!!!!!

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!

It caused all the forging/stalking problems in here about a month
ago........ and now it wants to act like a 'real' poster.

Killfile it.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Old 20-03-2009, 02:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

"phil..c" wrote in message
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

We live in the bush so we have rainwater tanks for everything but if I had
to consume the stuff they have in town I'd be filtering it for sure.
Or replacing it with wine or something. It's gross.

Hoges in WA

You obviously haven't tasted Adelaide's water then. Perth's is distilled
by comparison!

Old 20-03-2009, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 3:19*am, "phil..c" wrote:
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so *how many *use it in cooking ?

For discussion

Luckily, St. Louis water is fine right from the tap. We lived in
Tampa Bay when my wife was in grad school. There, I'd never drink
unfiltered tap water. I assumed that only really poor people would
drink it. It was even nasty to shower in.

--Bryan
Old 20-03-2009, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

phil..c wrote:
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

I have a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink. It has a spigot
thing on the sink and we use that water for drinking and cooking. It is
also hooked to the water line for the ice maker and water dispenser on
the fridge.

We rent the system from Culligan. They service it, including changing
the filters. It costs $45 for 2 months and is about what we were paying
for bottles water. Our regular tap water tastes terrible.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 20-03-2009, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 3:19 am, "phil..c" wrote:
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so how many use it in cooking ?

For discussion

Luckily, St. Louis water is fine right from the tap. We lived in
Tampa Bay when my wife was in grad school. There, I'd never drink
unfiltered tap water. I assumed that only really poor people would
drink it. It was even nasty to shower in.

My tap water is drinkable if you're really thirsty. I vastly prefer
filtered. It varies on a daily basis from smelling like sulfur to smelling
like too much chlorine.
A guy from the city came and tested it once. He said that it was perfectly
safe for drinking, but you wouldn't want it in your pool. Strange.

Unfiltered well water will turn your toilet and shower red here. I have
city water thankfully.

TFM®

Old 20-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 4:19*am, "phil..c" wrote:
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so *how many *use it in cooking ?

For discussion

Our tapwater comes from the Detroit regional water system, and
it's just fine. It's drawn from the Great Lakes, upstream from
Detroit.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 20-03-2009, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote
I have a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink. It has a spigot
thing on the sink and we use that water for drinking and cooking. It is
also hooked to the water line for the ice maker and water dispenser on the
fridge.

We rent the system from Culligan. They service it, including changing the
filters. It costs $45 for 2 months and is about what we were paying for
bottles water. Our regular tap water tastes terrible.

Why pray tell are you renting it. You are paying $250 a year for something
you can buy outright at Lowes and elsewhere for under $200. An RO filter
needs service only once a year to once every two years depending on usage
volume... the RO membrane is good for like ten years. Servicving entails
changing a couple of disposable cartridges, using a few alcohol wipes on the
fitting threads, and recharging the tank pressure with a bicycle pump. In
ten years you will have paid $2,500 for what should cost more like $600.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...everse+osmosis

Old 20-03-2009, 05:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Our town water tastes terrible so I have a carbon filter in the cold water
line to the kitchen. Any cold water used there is filtered.

Here in TX we don't have cold water lines, just "warm" and "hot".

-sw
Old 20-03-2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 12:00*pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
phil..c wrote:
Just wondering how many use any filter jugs or in line filters for their
water at home/office/work.

And if so *how many *use it in cooking ?

For discussion

I have a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink. It has a spigot
thing on the sink and we use that water for drinking and cooking. It is
also hooked to the water line for the ice maker and water dispenser on
the fridge.

We rent the system from Culligan. They service it, including changing
the filters. It costs $45 for 2 months and is about what we were paying
for bottles water. Our regular tap water tastes terrible.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
spelling doesn't count
but cooking does

One of the best tasting tap waters is in Texarkana.

--Bryan