Posted to rec.food.cooking
Piedmont[_3_] Piedmont[_3_] is offline

Default Pizza Dough with Bread Machine

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "David Harmon" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:02:14 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Piedmont"
>> > wrote,
>>>
>>>"Theron" > wrote in message

>> [...]
>>>
>>>I was cutting back on the water because the dough was sooo sticky, I will
>>>add the water back in and oil my hands in order to roll/flatten it out.

>> I would not suggest oily hands. Instead do like Theron suggested,
>> work it on a floured board so that the surface (only) of the dough ball
>> incorporates extra flour and becomes non-sticky.
>>
>> Perhaps all-purpose flour instead of bread flour would be less rubbery.
>>

> All purpose flour is more appropriate than bread flower for pizza. In
> Italy they use
> double 00 flour for pizza, which is slightly lower in gluten than all
> purpose. You can mimic this
> somewhat by mixing 1/3 cake flour and 2/3 all purpose. I have stuck with
> all purpose. That's what
> my local pizza parlor does and that's essentially what I'm trying to
> mimic. I strongly agree to not use
> oily hands. Do it all with flour on the board. You don't, however, want to
> knead too much unleavened
> flour into the dough itself.
>
> Ed

I have tried with all purpose 4 times and bread flour once, both the dough
were extremely sticky unless cutting back on the water, globs onto any skin
that touchs it. I did just as you said by working some flour into it after
rising but it was soo sticky I ened up adding nearly 3/4 cup extra flour. Is
there some way that you can describe the dough that you end up with. I mean,
my dough is unbelievably sticky and onerous to lay out. I'd like to get it
to the level of a pizza parlor when they toss it. I had a theory that I
needed to let it rest and hour before using.