Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Square Peg Square Peg is offline

Default Jade Oolong

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 10:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Jenn
> wrote:

>On a brief journey outside my tea deprived area, I found some jade
>oolong by Rishi in bulk. This was a pretty good Jade, I thought but I
>hadn't had any jade in a long time. I just enjoy the fragrance as well
>as the lovely springtime in a cup of this oolong. Can you guys talk
>about different Jades and how they taste and how you like them and
>where you get them? Or as well Likened to...
>Wishing I had another cup of this....
>Jenn
>Really liking the DC in my cup now too...

Coincidentally, I just finished brewing my second pot of jade oolong
that was in an oolong sampler from Adagio. This one has the pedestrian
label "Oolong #18".

I brewed the pot using the loose recommendations from Adagio:

Tea: 6.8 g
Water: 18 oz (2.25 g / 6 oz cup)
Temp: 180°
Time: 5:00

What a nice cup. Very mild. Almost silky smooth. A light, refreshing
aroma. Every bit as good at the end as the beginning.

When I saw your post, I went to the Rishi site and read that they
recommend less tea, higher temperature, and a shorter steep. So, even
though this is not a Rishi tea, I tried it with their parameters:

Tea: 6.4 g
Water: 24 oz (1.60 g / 6 oz cup)
Temp: 195°
Time: 3:30

This was a bit too weak for me, although, by the last cup, it no
longer seemed weak.

I'm going to buy a larger sample from either Upton (they have several
jade oolongs) or Rishi and give it a more thorough trial.

I think this may become a staple.