Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Advice sought.

In article > ,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> wrote:
> >> There may be a reason why all the same types of "product" have a
> >> sour or bitter taste to them.

> > Youre probably correct, it's to lower the pH, the way they have done
> > it makes it inedible in my opinion.

> In a commercial, for-profit endeavor, this could very well be the way to
> do it feasibly.
>
> It's what I meant by "the universe may be sending you a message."
>
> >> Home canning (which is the focus of this group, as well as other
> >> types of home preserving) is very different from commercial
> >> endeavors for profit.

> > Not that much different, the underlying science is the same...

> The science may be the same, but the scale is different.
>
> Because the scale is different, techniques are different, and equipment
> is different.
>
> Ask Barb if her recipes are that are produced commercially are the exact
> same ones that she made in her kitchen.

You rang, Sir? How may I serve you?

Actually, the ingredients in the Cherry Preserves (jam) that the Gedney
folks make are the same: Sugar, sour cherries, fruit pectin, citric
acid. Their food scientist may have done some tinkering with the
measures because what they are interested in reproducing is the taste of
the blue ribbon winner. They do a stellar job with the Cherry
Preserves. Positively outstanding. Better than my own.

If I remember correctly (and I may not ‹ it's been 13 years) they
adjusted the amount of sugar in my Peach Melba Jam in order to conform
to the FDA standard for a jam product. Then they offset that sweetness
some by the addition of more (?) citric acid. When they were
formulating my recipe for commercial distribution, I tasted three
versions before I said, "This is the one."

When they manufacture the blue ribbon pickle recipes for commercial
distribution, they make more changes, I think -- some preservatives; I
don't know about coloring agents. Bob has commented about the
additions that are not of a home kitchen. That's for shelf stability, I
think, to meet their business plan for the product and to make the FDA
regulations. I think.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller