Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] chillisalsa@googlemail.com is offline

Default Advice sought.

> Dear Chilli - you still don't quite get all the principals.

I do, just didn't explain everything in detail.

>Getting the damn jar to seal is just a start.
> * You seem to be contemplating a commercial operation, so different, more
> extensive and expensive rules will apply. Your local health dept is your
> buddy there and I commend you on getting the lab studies.

Yes, theyre already involved, and aware (called enviromental health
department in the UK). What I've never explained is that i already
run a registered catering business, have HACCP procedures in place,
and was recently given a top award for my practices, this new venture
is slightly different, but only in so much as that this time i'm
packing for later use, not immediate use.

> * If you use your steam injection or hot pack method (which are not approved
> for home use in the US) or if you plan on using the boiling water bath
> processing then you *need* the lower pH.

I'm not going to be using bwb, but still need the lower pH, certain
bacteria can grow below a pH of 3.8. Also every "chilli sauce" on our
market (UK) has a pH of 3.8 or below, i'm going to follow suit.

>The germs won't live & reproduce
> under the high acid conditions.The bwb is a easy, short, heat'em up and does
> not reach greater temps.
> * If you use the pressure canner, then you don't need to lower the pH,
> because you will be heating the contents and jars under pressure, usually
> 10#, evenly and continuously, which allows for much higher temps to be
> reached, and you get actual sterilization.

Yes, i know that, but as described above i need a pH of 3.6, once
opened I need a shelf life of two weeks refrigerated, hence also
lowering the pH. The reason I have opted to use the pressure cooking
method is that under normal cooking conditions, it takes 5 hours of
simmering to cook the sauce, but testing has shown that by using
pressure cooking, that time is reduced to 20 minutes (it's a bit more
complicated than that, but in a nutshell thats how it works out, I
just have to process a few batches.)

> * Everything I've read says that when you pressure can a mixture of less
> acidic product, then pressure can for the longest of the veggies, usually
> about 75 minutes at 10#, sea level for pints, for example.

With having the pH down, 15 minutes is enough for my sauce.

>And everything
> I've read says NOT to bring the pressure canner's temp down quickly as you
> described. Good way to crack the jars.

I'm bringing the temp down at the recomendation of the company
microbiologically analysing the sauce. So far I've not had any jars
crack, I let the pressure cooker cool for 5 mins, then cool under cold
water, then open the lid and take the jars and place them in the
fridge, there is no massive sudden reduction in temperature. Your
comment makes sense, and i must admit i was cautious about following
the advice given by them, but it does seem to work ok.

> * Check out these pages:http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can4_vegetable.html
> and
> *http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/...egetables.html
> and ESPECIALLY:http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/tomato_intro.html
> * Perhaps our friend George and some of the others who pressure can a lot
> will chime in here.

I dont use fresh tomatoes, I use canned ones, they have also been pH
treated by the manufacturer.

I know i dont need BOTH a low pH, and to pressure cook, but in this
instance a low pH is needed, and by also pressure cooking i reduce the
cooking times, get the benefit of sterilisation, and feel happier
having two systems (pH & sterilisation) to help ensure the safety of
the product.

The downside of lowering the pH so much is that i can taste a slight
inital lemon taste (it is soon washed away by the other ingredients),
but i would still like to reduce this lemon taste if possible.

Always glad of any input and advice.
> Edrena

I've been advised to purchase an autoclave, and may do this in the
near future, this will allow me to automate the procedure a little.
eventually if everything goes according to plan, a commerical pressure
cooker will be sought.