Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Advice sought.

> wrote in message
> This is just an update for the group in general, and Edrena in
> particular.
>
> After much researching i finally discovered how to use the lids the
> original post was about, I've even three different ways of doing it,
> so here they are.
>
> 1) With cold sauce (all examples should work with ANYTHING you plan to
> store in jars) inject steam into the headspace, then quickly fit the
> lid.
> I use a small pressure/steam cleaner (the sort you might use for
> cleaning the kitchen with) and inject the steam directly into the
> headspace. Within a couple of minutes you will hear the button pull
> down.
>
> 2) Hot fill the jar with the product as soon as it is cooked, dont
> cool, just fill and fit the lid.
>
> 3) Fill jar with uncooked product, fit lid and tighten, put in
> pressure cooker and cook as you would normally, once time is up,
> release pressure as quickly as possible (i cool cooker under cold
> water) remove jars, put into fridge to cool rapidly.
>
> 1 is simplest, even steam from a kettle can do this, 3 is best really,
> as everything is sterilised in one go.
>
> Also an update on my sauce, it is undergoing microbiological analysis
> right now, I do need to lower the pH slightly, (already lowered from
> 4.6 to 4.0) going to add more citric acid to do this. One problem with
> this is it gives the sauce a slightly "tartiness" taste, does anyone
> have any advice on how to offset this ?.

Dear Chilli - you still don't quite get all the principals. Getting the damn
jar to seal is just a start.
You seem to be contemplating a commercial operation, so different, more
extensive and expensive rules will apply. Your local health dept is your
buddy there and I commend you on getting the lab studies.
If you use your steam injection or hot pack method (which are not approved
for home use in the US) or if you plan on using the boiling water bath
processing then you *need* the lower pH. The germs won't live & reproduce
under the high acid conditions.The bwb is a easy, short, heat'em up and does
not reach greater temps.
If you use the pressure canner, then you don't need to lower the pH,
because you will be heating the contents and jars under pressure, usually
10#, evenly and continuously, which allows for much higher temps to be
reached, and you get actual sterilization.
Everything I've read says that when you pressure can a mixture of less
acidic product, then pressure can for the longest of the veggies, usually
about 75 minutes at 10#, sea level for pints, for example. And everything
I've read says NOT to bring the pressure canner's temp down quickly as you
described. Good way to crack the jars.
Check out these pages:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can4_vegetable.html
and
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/...egetables.html
and ESPECIALLY:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/tomato_intro.html
Perhaps our friend George and some of the others who pressure can a lot
will chime in here.
Edrena