Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mike Beede Mike Beede is offline

Default Dandelion leaves

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

You can just plain old eat the leaves. The flowers can
be used as flavoring for dandelion wine:
<http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelio.asp>

This is a brief discussion of what you can use them
for and their properties:
<http://nccam.nih.gov/health/dandelion/>

This suggests you can roast the roots and make a beverage
from them:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_coffee>

This claims to be an Indian recipe, but I think it's
modernized. Sounds good, though:
<http://www.aurora-inn.mb.ca/food.html#dandy>

I assume you haven't used pesticides recently on your
lawn. That might be bad.

Mike Beede