Old 23-02-2009, 01:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dandelion leaves

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Old 23-02-2009, 01:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote in newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Old 23-02-2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
PeterLucas wrote:

Omelet wrote in newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
But thanks.

Old 23-02-2009, 02:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote in newsmpomelet-C43B89.08124023022009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
But thanks.

You tweaked my interest...... so I went looking :-)

It's very versatile.....

http://www.prodigalgardens.info/dandelion%20recipes.htm

http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/dandelion.html

http://southernfood.about.com/od/col...r/bl30319f.htm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, dandelion wine!!

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/dandelion.html

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?search=dandelion

That should get the ball rolling :-)

Old 23-02-2009, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:12:40 -0600:

Omelet wrote in
newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my
yard at the moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this
year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the
roots etc.?

I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
But thanks.

I've eaten and quite enjoyed dandelion *leaves* in a mixed green salad
where they add an interesting bitter taste. That's about as far as I
would go tho' I believe they have actually been cooked. However, unlike
me, some people like long cooked spinach and vegetable greens.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 23-02-2009, 02:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

You can just plain old eat the leaves. The flowers can
be used as flavoring for dandelion wine:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelio.asp

This is a brief discussion of what you can use them
for and their properties:
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/dandelion/

This suggests you can roast the roots and make a beverage
from them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_coffee

This claims to be an Indian recipe, but I think it's
modernized. Sounds good, though:
http://www.aurora-inn.mb.ca/food.html#dandy

I assume you haven't used pesticides recently on your
lawn. That might be bad.

Mike Beede
Old 23-02-2009, 02:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
Omelet wrote in
newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009 @news-wc.giganews.com:

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at
the moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots
etc.?

I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

--
Peter Lucas

Don't forget Dandelion Wine.
Janet

Old 23-02-2009, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

We never ate the roots Om, just the tender young leaves. If you leave
them to flower you can pick the flowers and make a nice wine from them.

Old 23-02-2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:12:40 -0600:

Omelet wrote in
newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my
yard at the moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this
year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the
roots etc.?

I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
But thanks.

I've eaten and quite enjoyed dandelion *leaves* in a mixed green salad
where they add an interesting bitter taste. That's about as far as I
would go tho' I believe they have actually been cooked. However, unlike
me, some people like long cooked spinach and vegetable greens.

I'll most likely try them both ways. I've been on a raw baby spinach
leaf kick now for 3 weeks.

Old 23-02-2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Mike Beede wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

[...]

I rarely, if ever, use pesticides at all, least of all in the garden
beds which is where these are growing. I'll use 5% sevin dust for flea
control but again, that's not in the garden beds!

Old 23-02-2009, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Omelet wrote:
There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

We never ate the roots Om, just the tender young leaves. If you leave
them to flower you can pick the flowers and make a nice wine from them.

I do need to try that one of these years, but right now they are weeds
in the asparagus and peruvian daffodil beds and need to come out. :-)

Old 23-02-2009, 10:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Might want to check on the types of chemicals you've put on the lawn in the
past few years.

Old 24-02-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Kswck" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Might want to check on the types of chemicals you've put on the lawn in the
past few years.

I'm not a big chemical user so there are no worries there.

Old 24-02-2009, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Kswck" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Might want to check on the types of chemicals you've put on the lawn in the
past few years.

I'm not a big chemical user so there are no worries there.

FYI

http://www.drugs.com/npp/dandelion.html

Dandelion [email protected] Winemaking 8 24-04-2006 01:42 AM
Something to mix with Dandelion leaf M.Melnicki Tea 1 18-02-2006 04:25 PM
Dandelion Woes... Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 26 29-05-2005 05:46 AM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM