Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default _Consumer Reports_: Eight O'Clock Coffee A "Best Buy"

Lin wrote on Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:01:02 -0800:

>> I use a quite cheap Braun blade grinder and I don't find the noise
>> objectionable. It only takes a count of 80 for my
>> preferred grind.

> Ours is a Braun burr grinder. It's noisy. It does have a dial for
> setting the amount of grind time, so I don't have to keep count.
> Lately though, I've been having to shake it AS it
> grinds. For some reason it's not grabbing the beans like it
> used to and it's taking longer to fill the ground coffee
> receptacle. There are other reasons why I don't like this
> grinder. Not sure what's better out there, so if you have suggestions
> I'd be happy to look at them the day this thing
> finally dies (I might give it a push along).

I forget and can't find the model number of the Braun but I think they
are available for about $20 around here. Cuisinart makes a very similar
one as does Sears. The very first one I used was made by Peugeot of
France (about 25 years ago). I have an old Salton of the same design
that I use for spices. All of them switch on by pressing on the lid and
are thus pretty safe to use. I did have a burr grinder that died like
yours but it was not the best of designs because it stored the beans
above the grinder and they tended to get warmed up by the mill.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland