Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default _Consumer Reports_: Eight O'Clock Coffee A "Best Buy"

Gloria wrote on Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:45:27 -0700:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/s...cks-the-best-c
>>
>> Consumer Reports Picks the Best Cup o' Brew
>>
>> Our top-rated Colombian coffee is also a CR Best Buy
>> By ConsumerReports.org
>>
>> Folgers, Maxwell House, and Starbucks are America's
>> best-selling ground coffees. But all three were iced by Eight
>> O'Clock Colombian coffee in our taste tests. As for
>> Starbucks, it didn't even place among the top regular coffees
>> and trailed among decafs.
>>
>> Our tests of 19 coffees also show that some of the best cost the
>> least. At about $6 per pound, Eight O'Clock costs less
>> than half the price of Gloria Jean's, Peet's, and other more
>> expensive brands.

> Our Albertson's has EIght O'Clocj on sale thie week for
> something like $4.99 for 12 oz. I bought some whole bean to
> try in our espresso maker. I'll let you know tomorrow morning how it
> does.

> We have been using "Lavazza SUper Crema" and I really liked
> it, The last bag I tried was some whole bean stuff from
> Costco (yellow bag, can't remember the brand) and it was harsh
> but drinkable. Ick.

There are quite a lot of drinkable coffees at Trader Joes even if the
prices seem to be $4.99 up for 12oz. I buy the unground beans, freeze
them and grind as necessary. You don't have to defrost coffee beans and
they do keep better when frozen.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland