Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default Advice sought from Great Britain

> wrote in message
>
>> And never, never bwb veggies or meat. Y'all just asking to see The
>> Pearly
>> Gates.

> Hmm, my recipie uses veg (onions, peppers), I hadn't planned to
> pressure cook them.
>

>> Pressure canning (and not the pressure cooker necessarily) is a horse
>> of a
>> little different colo(u)r we will get into if you want.

> I think i may have to.

Depends on what else is in your recipe. The key is the acidity, so if your
recipe also includes vinegar or lemon juice or something else really acidic,
you may be fine with bwb. (Then again, you may not, so the relative
quantities are important.)

Take green beans, for example. If you're canning green beans by themselves
you MUST pressure can them. But if you make Pickled Green Beans, you're
okay bwb-ing them, since the vinegar used to pickle the beans raises the
acidity enough to prevent botulism.

I make a lot of salsas in the summertime. All my recipes include onions and
peppers, and they all are approved for bwb processing, since they also
contain vinegar in sufficient quantities to be acidic enough to can that
way.

Anny