Posted to rec.food.preserving
BT Humble BT Humble is offline

Default Advice sought.

wrote:
> Thank you for your detailed reply, however I had already visited the
> sites you mention, but they weren't of much help, let me explain.
>
> Virtually every site i have visited, is aimed at the American home
> canner, and utilizes a two piece lid with a rubber ring. These things
> are simply not available on the British market. What is available are
> one piece lids,

Mayonnaise jars? They work OK, I've preserved raw-packed peaches and
lots of jam in them without any real problems. If you're re-using
lids you get an occasional seal failure, so button-top lids are a good
idea.

I usually process them for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath after
fillign the jars to get a good tight seal. It's important to only put
the lids on fingertip-tight, so that the air bubbles can escape.
Don't try to wring its neck when you put the lid on, or it'll blow off
in the canner and you'll have a big pot of thin chilli soup. ;-)

> These are simple twist off lids, and i cannot find any advice
> whatsoever on how to use these, even the manufacturers & distributors
> will not offer any advice (afraid of legal action should something go
> wrong i suspect).

The various health departments here (Australia) have been cracking
down on people selling home-made jams and pickles at fetes and such.
I can vaguely remember a case last year where a dozen people got sick
from a batch of something bought at a fete that wasn't properly
prepared. If you want to sell home-prepared stuff you now have to
have a commercial-grade kitchen AND a $5,000 insurance policy. :-/

BTH