Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] chillisalsa@googlemail.com is offline

Default Advice sought.

> Pour boiling (just below) jam into the jars.
>
> Leave a 1/2 to 1 inch head space.
>
> Put on lids and screw tightly.
>
> As the jam cools the a vacuum is created and the lid pops down
> indicating a good seal.
>
> This method has only recently been acknowledged on this list as being
> used by small batch jam makers, as a "hot pack".

Thanks for that information, I had already tried a similar method,
just as an experiment, and it worked fine for me.
Sauce simmering away, jars sterilized in boiling water for ten
minutes, ditto the lids, jars moved to hot oven (120c) for further ten
minutes for drying, then removed, filled, lids fitted using magnetic
tool, then tightened, and allowed to cool.

> Chili doesn't last *long around here; but I usually refrigerate or
> freeze it. *I don't have the same faith in a hot pack for meat as I do
> for jam.

This Chilli doesn't have any meat content, it's a sauce/salsa,
determining shelf life is difficult, prety high up on my list of
things to do.