Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] chillisalsa@googlemail.com is offline

Default Advice sought.

On Jan 23, 2:38*am, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> "BT Humble" > wrote in message

> On Jan 23, 3:58 am, wrote:
>
> > I am wanting to store some home made chilli sauce in jars (i've made
> > this sauce for about 20 years, but have always frozen it) despite many
> > hours of searching, I've been unable to find a guide of any sort on
> > how to achieve this (I want to use the type of lids that have the
> > safety button in the centre).

> > I know that the jars / lids i describe above create a vaccuum and that
> > the button in the lid is "sucked in", what i cant discover is how is
> > this achieved. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?.

> > All help gratefully received.

> Here's a good start:http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html
>
> Or more particularly:http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...w_canners.html
>
> Essentially, you fill your jars leaving a bit of air space at the top,
> then immerse them in a big pot of water. Bringing the water to the
> boil heats up the contents of the jars, which (a) kills any
> microorganisms in the food, and (b) makes the liquid in the jars
> expand, forcing out some of that air frm the top of the jars. *When
> you remove the jars and let them cool the food contacts again, which
> makes a partial vaccum that sucks the button on the lid in[1].
>
> The procedure is very well documented and tested, and there are lots
> of sites with information on exactly how many minutes of boiling you
> need to do for different sizes of jars.
>
> Happy to help!
>
> BTH
> [1] Technically the lid is "pushed in" by the higher-pressure air
> outside the jar, but let's not nitpick. ;-)
>
> Not nitpicking or anything, but one should use the tested recipes by either
> the aforementioned boiling water bath method, or use a pressure *Canner*
> (not necessarily a cooker). The bwb for high acid foods (and your chili
> sauce may or may not qualify!) or the pressure canner for low acid
> vegetables and all meat products.
> * Please follow USDA (or your local ag agent's) tested recipes. Don't
> substitute until you got the science and method under your belt. Unless
> y'all got a reliable pH meter. The one for the garden or pool does not
> qualify. Probably.
> * And check out our FAQ when ol' Jack gets it back online. Somebody here may
> have the pages saved as text. Got lots of good info, booklists, etc.
>
> * Ya'll come on back and visit and lurk and all, and let us know how you do.
> We're a real civilized bunch. *Where are you canning from? Country or
> altitude? We gots people from all over.
> Edrena in the high desert country

Thank you for your detailed reply, however I had already visited the
sites you mention, but they weren't of much help, let me explain.

Virtually every site i have visited, is aimed at the American home
canner, and utilizes a two piece lid with a rubber ring. These things
are simply not available on the British market. What is available are
one piece lids, at websites like the following
http://www.ebottles.co.uk/showcap.asp?familyid=64 or
http://www.jbconline.co.uk/index.php...oducts _id=41

These are simple twist off lids, and i cannot find any advice
whatsoever on how to use these, even the manufacturers & distributors
will not offer any advice (afraid of legal action should something go
wrong i suspect).

I'm canning from here :-
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...,0.001035&z=20