Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
anthony anthony is offline

Default Roll out, kneading board - treat with oil?

On Jan 16, 1:38*am, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
> Dan Musicant wrote:
> > Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer)
> > on which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I
> > sanded with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander
> > finishing with 220 grit paper.

> > Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as
> > a cutting board?

> > Dan

> Now if all you use this board for is dough which ( I use a marble slab for )
> then I wouldn't oil it. However regular wooden cutting boards I do use a
> mixture of mineral oil/bee's wax about once a week. Neither food safe
> mineral oil nor bee's wax will ever go rancid and I clean my cutting boards
> (all wood) with vinegar/water solution after each use. Using mineral oil
> only is fine but will weep out over time, while with the bee's wax it will
> help seal it. Here is the site of the guy I buy my boards from with his
> instruction.http://www.theboardsmith.net./caring1.htm
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

I use an oil made from orange peel -- it comes from the US and should
be available in any good kitchen shop. It's called John Boos Mystery
Oil -- John Boos & o, Effingham IL. States Safe for all Food
Preparation Surfaces. And has a lovely natural citric tang. I use it
on my rolling pins and surfaces.