Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Default Roll out, kneading board - treat with oil?

Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer) on
which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I sanded
with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander finishing
with 220 grit paper.

Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as a
cutting board?

Dan
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

On Jan 14, 9:14�pm, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
> Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer) on
> which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I sanded
> with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander finishing
> with 220 grit paper.
>
> Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as a
> cutting board?

NO!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Dan Musicant" > wrote in message
> Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer) on
> which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I sanded
> with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander finishing
> with 220 grit paper.
>
> Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as a
> cutting board?
>
> Dan

If you oil it, you'll have to wait a while to use it and nothing will be
gained. Just leave it alone and flour as needed when used. Oil may be of
value to a board used for cutting meats and wet stuff, but not for
flour/dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Dan Musicant wrote:
> Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer)
> on which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I
> sanded with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander
> finishing with 220 grit paper.
>
> Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as
> a cutting board?
>
> Dan

No, It will get a nasty stale smell as the oil gets old and possibly get
tacky. Just sand it. Wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove any sanding
dust and give it a final sanding by hand with really fine paper. The damp
cloth will remove sanding dust and also raise fine wood fibers. The final
sanding by hand will remove the fine wood fibers. I've used this method
with furniture refinishing for years.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Dan Musicant wrote:
> Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer)
> on which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I
> sanded with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander
> finishing with 220 grit paper.
>
> Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as
> a cutting board?
>
> Dan

Now if all you use this board for is dough which ( I use a marble slab for )
then I wouldn't oil it. However regular wooden cutting boards I do use a
mixture of mineral oil/bee's wax about once a week. Neither food safe
mineral oil nor bee's wax will ever go rancid and I clean my cutting boards
(all wood) with vinegar/water solution after each use. Using mineral oil
only is fine but will weep out over time, while with the bee's wax it will
help seal it. Here is the site of the guy I buy my boards from with his
instruction. http://www.theboardsmith.net./caring1.htm

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

On Jan 16, 1:38*am, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
> Dan Musicant wrote:
> > Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer)
> > on which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I
> > sanded with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander
> > finishing with 220 grit paper.

> > Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as
> > a cutting board?

> > Dan

> Now if all you use this board for is dough which ( I use a marble slab for )
> then I wouldn't oil it. However regular wooden cutting boards I do use a
> mixture of mineral oil/bee's wax about once a week. Neither food safe
> mineral oil nor bee's wax will ever go rancid and I clean my cutting boards
> (all wood) with vinegar/water solution after each use. Using mineral oil
> only is fine but will weep out over time, while with the bee's wax it will
> help seal it. Here is the site of the guy I buy my boards from with his
> instruction.http://www.theboardsmith.net./caring1.htm
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

I use an oil made from orange peel -- it comes from the US and should
be available in any good kitchen shop. It's called John Boos Mystery
Oil -- John Boos & o, Effingham IL. States Safe for all Food
Preparation Surfaces. And has a lovely natural citric tang. I use it
on my rolling pins and surfaces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

On Jan 15, 7:17�pm, anthony > wrote:
> On Jan 16, 1:38�am, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
>

> > Dan Musicant wrote:
> > > Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer)
> > > on which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I
> > > sanded with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander
> > > finishing with 220 grit paper.

> > > Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as
> > > a cutting board?

> > > Dan

> > Now if all you use this board for is dough which ( I use a marble slab for )
> > then I wouldn't oil it. However regular wooden cutting boards I do use a
> > mixture of mineral oil/bee's wax about once a week. Neither food safe
> > mineral oil nor bee's wax will ever go rancid and I clean my cutting boards
> > (all wood) with vinegar/water solution after each use. Using mineral oil
> > only is fine but will weep out over time, while with the bee's wax it will
> > help seal it. Here is the site of the guy I buy my boards from with his
> > instruction.http://www.theboardsmith.net./caring1.htm

> > --

> > Joe Cilinceon

> I use an oil made from orange peel -- it comes from the US and should
> be available in any good kitchen shop. It's called John Boos Mystery
> Oil -- John Boos & o, Effingham IL. States Safe for all Food
> Preparation Surfaces. And has a lovely natural citric tang. I use it
> on my rolling pins and surfaces.

Why would a sane person do that. Any lubricity ruins the adhesion of
a baker's bench... the only treatment needed is bench flour. And
never ever sand or steelwool a baker's bench, clean only by scraping
with a bench knife.