Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
Janet Bostwick[_2_] Janet Bostwick[_2_] is offline

Default Roll out, kneading board - treat with oil?

Dan Musicant wrote:
> Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer)
> on which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I
> sanded with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander
> finishing with 220 grit paper.
>
> Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as
> a cutting board?
>
> Dan

No, It will get a nasty stale smell as the oil gets old and possibly get
tacky. Just sand it. Wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove any sanding
dust and give it a final sanding by hand with really fine paper. The damp
cloth will remove sanding dust and also raise fine wood fibers. The final
sanding by hand will remove the fine wood fibers. I've used this method
with furniture refinishing for years.
Janet