Posted to rec.food.equipment
pavane[_2_] pavane[_2_] is offline

Default Hamburger Press

"Moka Java" > wrote in message ...
| pltrgyst wrote:
| > On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 04:03:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
| > wrote:
| >
| >> Well, yes, they are all "pre-formed", but I was specifically referring to
| >> those formed by some implement like a hamburger press. I don't like the
| >> meat compacted to the degree that any press I've experienced does it.
| >
| > Cooks Magazine, Robert Wolke, and just about everyone of note who's written on
| > the subject recently agree. The consensus is that looser packing both aids in
| > keeping the burger moist inside and equalizes heat distribution.
| >
| > I grind my own beef, and hand-shape as loosely as I can and still have them stay
| > intact. Then make a slight indentation in the center on both sides so the burger
| > comes out with uniform thickness. I don't go for the ice cube trick...
| >
| > -- Larry
|
| Have you tried ground brisket for your burgers?
|
| What's the ice cube trick?

The Ice Cube Trick, answer 1:
Mickey Rourke, Kim Basinger in the movie "Nine 1/2 Weeks"
The Ice Cube Trick, answer 2:
Put a small ice cube in the middle of a burger so that it will
melt as the burger cooks, thus keeping the burger moist and
decreasing the height of the middle of the burger as it melts.

pavane