Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Hamburger Press

I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.

I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
sufficient.

Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod

Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.

I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.

TIA,
Janet
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder wrote:
> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>
> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
> sufficient.
>
> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>
> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
>
> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.

See if you can find a cookie cutter the right size. That an a rolling
pin should do what you need,

For myself, I form them by hand when I need them. Less freezer burn that
way.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
> sufficient.
>
> Today I was surfing and found a Winco„˘ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod

Link broken.

Believe it or not, I always see ones made of cast iron at Academy.
I always thought they were overkill. Who wants to take a cast iron
hamburger press camping?

Williams Sonoma also has one in their retail stores.

=sw
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> Believe it or not, I always see ones made of cast iron at Academy.
> I always thought they were overkill. Who wants to take a cast iron
> hamburger press camping?

Why would you take a press camping no matter what material? Just form them
by hand. IMO, they taste better that way, not so tightly packed.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun 04 Jan 2009 04:01:14p, Janet Wilder told us...

> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>
> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
> sufficient.
>
> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>
> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
>
> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
>
> TIA,
> Janet

It looks like a decent press, Janet. However, I really don't like burgers
formed in a press.

When I need a quantity of burger patties, either for a party or for
freezing, I weight out all the meat in portions so they'll be consistently
the same. After all the portions have been weighed, I shape them by hand
on plastic wrap, then wrap each one individually. I think the results of a
hand shaped burger are infinitely better than those that came from a press.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 01(I)/04(IV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 3hrs 16mins
Why ask me? I'm just visiting reality.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I am looking for a hamburger press.

I've tried a couple over the years, and I keep falling back on ol'
reliables; Rosie and her counterpart (running and ducking for cover).

In all honesty, I prefer the flavor and texture as a result of hand
forming over anything pressed.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sun 04 Jan 2009 04:01:14p, Janet Wilder told us...
>
>> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
>> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
>> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
>> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
>> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>>
>> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
>> sufficient.
>>
>> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
>> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
>> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>>
>> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
>> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
>>
>> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Janet

> It looks like a decent press, Janet. However, I really don't like burgers
> formed in a press.

I still can't see the link:
http://www.pjpmarketplace.com/Search...burger%2Bpress

-sw
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>
> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
> sufficient.
>
> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>
> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
>
> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
>
> TIA,
> Janet
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

or http://www.cabelas.com/ and search for Item:XJ-515455
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
>> sufficient.
>>
>> Today I was surfing and found a Winco„˘ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
>> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
>> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod

> Link broken.
>
> Believe it or not, I always see ones made of cast iron at Academy.
> I always thought they were overkill. Who wants to take a cast iron
> hamburger press camping?

I son't want to take it camping :-) I checked their web site and it
brought up a blank, but we're due for a Sam's Club run so I'll check the
Brownsville store.

> Williams Sonoma also has one in their retail stores.

No Williams Sonoma here and they are usually to pricey for my pocketbook

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Believe it or not, I always see ones made of cast iron at Academy.
>> I always thought they were overkill. Who wants to take a cast iron
>> hamburger press camping?

> Why would you take a press camping no matter what material? Just form them
> by hand. IMO, they taste better that way, not so tightly packed.

I have been forming them by hand. In order to get them the same size, I
am weighing each hunk of ground beef. I thought a press would be faster
to get them uniform.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 04 Jan 2009 04:01:14p, Janet Wilder told us...
>
>> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
>> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
>> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
>> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
>> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>>
>> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
>> sufficient.
>>
>> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
>> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
>> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>>
>> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
>> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
>>
>> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Janet

> It looks like a decent press, Janet. However, I really don't like burgers
> formed in a press.
>
> When I need a quantity of burger patties, either for a party or for
> freezing, I weight out all the meat in portions so they'll be consistently
> the same. After all the portions have been weighed, I shape them by hand
> on plastic wrap, then wrap each one individually. I think the results of a
> hand shaped burger are infinitely better than those that came from a press.

That's pretty much what I've been doing, Wayne. I shape them and wrap
them and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When they are
frozen, I take off the plastic and put them in a resealable freezer bag.
The weighing is so tedious.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sqwertz wrote:

> I still can't see the link:
> http://www.pjpmarketplace.com/Search...burger%2Bpress
>
> -sw

http://tinyurl.com/96ryod

or

http://www.pjpmarketplace.com/Search...amburger+press
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Pete C. wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
>> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
>> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
>> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
>> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>>
>> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
>> sufficient.
>>
>> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
>> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
>> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>>
>> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
>> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
>>
>> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Janet
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
>> Good Friends. Good Life

> http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
>
> or http://www.cabelas.com/ and search for Item:XJ-515455

That is way too cool!

If I had a large family, I'd snap it up. It's just DH and me, so it's
hardly justified.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 05 Jan 2009 08:46:59a, Pete C. told us...

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
>> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
>> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
>> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
>> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in
>> 2005.
>>
>> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
>> sufficient.
>>
>> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
>> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
>> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>>
>> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
>> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
>>
>> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Janet
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
>> Good Friends. Good Life

> http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d-item.jsp?_DA
> RGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat2
> 80028_TGP&id=0054307515455a&navCount=1&podId=00543 07&parentId=cat280028&m
> asterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&pa rentType=index&indexId=
> cat601233&hasJS=true
>
> or http://www.cabelas.com/ and search for Item:XJ-515455

Now that is really nifty gizmo, Pete, even if I don't like preformed
patties.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/05(V)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 54mins
Nunnery - Where nuns are hatched

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 05 Jan 2009 06:05:46p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 04 Jan 2009 04:01:14p, Janet Wilder told us...
>>
>>> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
>>> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
>>> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
>>> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
>>> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in
>>> 2005.
>>>
>>> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
>>> sufficient.
>>>
>>> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
>>> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
>>> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
>>>
>>> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
>>> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or
>>> another.
>>>
>>> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Janet

>> It looks like a decent press, Janet. However, I really don't like
>> burgers formed in a press.
>>
>> When I need a quantity of burger patties, either for a party or for
>> freezing, I weight out all the meat in portions so they'll be
>> consistently the same. After all the portions have been weighed, I
>> shape them by hand on plastic wrap, then wrap each one individually. I
>> think the results of a hand shaped burger are infinitely better than
>> those that came from a press.
>>

> That's pretty much what I've been doing, Wayne. I shape them and wrap
> them and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When they are
> frozen, I take off the plastic and put them in a resealable freezer bag.
> The weighing is so tedious.

I can't disagree, Janet. Weighing is tedious, but hand shaping gives me
the type of burger I really like the best. Sometimes I just eyeball the
amount and I come pretty close to consistency.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/05(V)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 3mins
Cats must lick their human's armpits while she is sleeping.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 05 Jan 2009 08:46:59a, Pete C. told us...
>

> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >>
> >> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
> >> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
> >> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
> >> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
> >> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in
> >> 2005.
> >>
> >> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
> >> sufficient.
> >>
> >> Today I was surfing and found a Winco™ "adjustable" hamburger press. I
> >> believe the model number is HP-4. The best price is on this web site,
> >> but the shipping is as much as the press. http://tinyurl.com/96ryod
> >>
> >> Do you all think it's worth it? I haven't seen the thing in real life
> >> but I thought maybe someone here had and could recommend it or another.
> >>
> >> I grind all my own beef and it's time to restock the burgers.
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> Janet
> >> --
> >> Janet Wilder
> >> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> >> Good Friends. Good Life

> > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d-item.jsp?_DA
> > RGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat2
> > 80028_TGP&id=0054307515455a&navCount=1&podId=00543 07&parentId=cat280028&m
> > asterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&pa rentType=index&indexId=
> > cat601233&hasJS=true
> >
> > or http://www.cabelas.com/ and search for Item:XJ-515455
> >

> Now that is really nifty gizmo, Pete, even if I don't like preformed
> patties.

I don't have any problem with machine formed patties, and they're all
pre-formed unless you dump a bowl of ground meat on the grill and then
portion it out after it's cooked. The key is to have fresh ground meat
and you get that when you grind it yourself regardless of how you form
it.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 05 Jan 2009 08:41:03p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dard-item.jsp?
>> > _DA
>> > RGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-c
>> > at2
>> > 80028_TGP&id=0054307515455a&navCount=1&podId=00543 07&parentId=cat28002
>> > 8&m
>> > asterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&pa rentType=index&index
>> > Id= cat601233&hasJS=true
>> >
>> > or http://www.cabelas.com/ and search for Item:XJ-515455
>> >

>> Now that is really nifty gizmo, Pete, even if I don't like preformed
>> patties.

> I don't have any problem with machine formed patties, and they're all
> pre-formed unless you dump a bowl of ground meat on the grill and then
> portion it out after it's cooked. The key is to have fresh ground meat
> and you get that when you grind it yourself regardless of how you form
> it.

Well, yes, they are all "pre-formed", but I was specifically referring to
those formed by some implement like a hamburger press. I don't like the
meat compacted to the degree that any press I've experienced does it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/05(V)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 6dys 2hrs 58mins
Reality is a place where bad things could happen.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:05:46 -0600, Janet Wilder > wrote:

>.... I shape them and wrap
>them and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When they are
>frozen, I take off the plastic and put them in a resealable freezer bag....

Why do you bother to wrap them?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 04:03:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

>Well, yes, they are all "pre-formed", but I was specifically referring to
>those formed by some implement like a hamburger press. I don't like the
>meat compacted to the degree that any press I've experienced does it.

Cooks Magazine, Robert Wolke, and just about everyone of note who's written on
the subject recently agree. The consensus is that looser packing both aids in
keeping the burger moist inside and equalizes heat distribution.

I grind my own beef, and hand-shape as loosely as I can and still have them stay
intact. Then make a slight indentation in the center on both sides so the burger
comes out with uniform thickness. I don't go for the ice cube trick...

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 05 Jan 2009 10:15:32p, pltrgyst told us...

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 04:03:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Well, yes, they are all "pre-formed", but I was specifically referring
>>to those formed by some implement like a hamburger press. I don't like
>>the meat compacted to the degree that any press I've experienced does
>>it.

> Cooks Magazine, Robert Wolke, and just about everyone of note who's
> written on the subject recently agree. The consensus is that looser
> packing both aids in keeping the burger moist inside and equalizes heat
> distribution.

Exactly.

> I grind my own beef, and hand-shape as loosely as I can and still have
> them stay intact. Then make a slight indentation in the center on both
> sides so the burger comes out with uniform thickness. I don't go for the
> ice cube trick...

Pretty much the same as what I do. Good burgers!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/06(VI)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 5dys 18hrs 20mins
An eye for an eye' only ends up making the whole world blind...

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Believe it or not, I always see ones made of cast iron at Academy.
>> I always thought they were overkill. Who wants to take a cast iron
>> hamburger press camping?

> I son't want to take it camping :-) I checked their web site and it
> brought up a blank, but we're due for a Sam's Club run so I'll check the
> Brownsville store.

It's this one:
http://www.omcan.ca/pages/hamburgerp...ronburger.html

Don't ask me what the "hamburger paper" is. It looks like it's for
the day *after* you eat a hamburger - if you get my drift.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Believe it or not, I always see ones made of cast iron at Academy.
>>> I always thought they were overkill. Who wants to take a cast iron
>>> hamburger press camping?

>> I son't want to take it camping :-) I checked their web site and it
>> brought up a blank, but we're due for a Sam's Club run so I'll check the
>> Brownsville store.

> It's this one:
> http://www.omcan.ca/pages/hamburgerp...ronburger.html
>
> Don't ask me what the "hamburger paper" is. It looks like it's for
> the day *after* you eat a hamburger - if you get my drift.
>
> -sw

Thanks, I'll look for it. I'm not buying on line. I can't see paying
more for shipping than for the item. If I don't see that one at Academy,
I'll just keep on weighing and patting them out by hand.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

>> It's this one:
>> http://www.omcan.ca/pages/hamburgerp...ronburger.html
>>
>> Don't ask me what the "hamburger paper" is. It looks like it's for
>> the day *after* you eat a hamburger - if you get my drift.

> Thanks, I'll look for it. I'm not buying on line. I can't see paying
> more for shipping than for the item. If I don't see that one at Academy,
> I'll just keep on weighing and patting them out by hand.

I'll forgive you. I can't see the allure of using cast iron to
press raw hamburgers, camping or not. Flat hamburger presses don't
work anyway. Hamburgers need a thicker rim and a thinner center to
cook properly.

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 04:03:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>
>> Well, yes, they are all "pre-formed", but I was specifically referring to
>> those formed by some implement like a hamburger press. I don't like the
>> meat compacted to the degree that any press I've experienced does it.

> Cooks Magazine, Robert Wolke, and just about everyone of note who's written on
> the subject recently agree. The consensus is that looser packing both aids in
> keeping the burger moist inside and equalizes heat distribution.
>
> I grind my own beef, and hand-shape as loosely as I can and still have them stay
> intact. Then make a slight indentation in the center on both sides so the burger
> comes out with uniform thickness. I don't go for the ice cube trick...
>
> -- Larry

Have you tried ground brisket for your burgers?

What's the ice cube trick?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Moka Java" > wrote in message ...
| pltrgyst wrote:
| > On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 04:03:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
| > wrote:
| >
| >> Well, yes, they are all "pre-formed", but I was specifically referring to
| >> those formed by some implement like a hamburger press. I don't like the
| >> meat compacted to the degree that any press I've experienced does it.
| >
| > Cooks Magazine, Robert Wolke, and just about everyone of note who's written on
| > the subject recently agree. The consensus is that looser packing both aids in
| > keeping the burger moist inside and equalizes heat distribution.
| >
| > I grind my own beef, and hand-shape as loosely as I can and still have them stay
| > intact. Then make a slight indentation in the center on both sides so the burger
| > comes out with uniform thickness. I don't go for the ice cube trick...
| >
| > -- Larry
|
| Have you tried ground brisket for your burgers?
|
| What's the ice cube trick?

The Ice Cube Trick, answer 1:
Mickey Rourke, Kim Basinger in the movie "Nine 1/2 Weeks"
The Ice Cube Trick, answer 2:
Put a small ice cube in the middle of a burger so that it will
melt as the burger cooks, thus keeping the burger moist and
decreasing the height of the middle of the burger as it melts.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pavane wrote:
> "Moka Java" > wrote in message ...
> | pltrgyst wrote:

> | > Cooks Magazine, Robert Wolke, and just about everyone of note who's written on
> | > the subject recently agree. The consensus is that looser packing both aids in
> | > keeping the burger moist inside and equalizes heat distribution.
> | >
> | > I grind my own beef, and hand-shape as loosely as I can and still have them stay
> | > intact. Then make a slight indentation in the center on both sides so the burger
> | > comes out with uniform thickness. I don't go for the ice cube trick...
> | >
> | > -- Larry
> |
> | Have you tried ground brisket for your burgers?
> |
> | What's the ice cube trick?
>
> The Ice Cube Trick, answer 1:
> Mickey Rourke, Kim Basinger in the movie "Nine 1/2 Weeks"
> The Ice Cube Trick, answer 2:
> Put a small ice cube in the middle of a burger so that it will
> melt as the burger cooks, thus keeping the burger moist and
> decreasing the height of the middle of the burger as it melts.
>
> pavane

1. I can do better than that, try a heavy steel spatula left in the
freezer for a while. The spatula keeps it in r.f.e but any further
elaboration belongs in another ng.

2. That's what I thought but I don't see any good reason to add water
to a burger. At least not beef, turkey can use some added moisture.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder said...

> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>
> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
> sufficient.

Janet,

For the longest time I've used:

http://fantes.com/meat-prep.html#burger Look for the cheap-o plastic one, #
4121.

Toss a hunk of burger on a paper plate, cover, press!

Have had to replace it a couple times over the years. Pressure and time...
something's gotta give.

What do you want for $4.00? Maybe order two and get your DH into the act!

BTW, I did change my grinding method to just the course grind (not regrind
with the fine grind plate) so the burger press doesn't compress the meat as
densely and they cook up juicy faster AND if you pour anything like
worchestshire over them while cooking it really gets in the burger faster.

Admittedly, the course ground burgers can be fragile to manage and cook.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Andy wrote:
> Janet Wilder said...
>
>> I am looking for a hamburger press. I used to have an inexpensive one
>> made of aluminum that had no bottom (you put it on waxed paper or
>> parchment paper)and a knob on top that you twisted. On the inside of
>> that knob was a band of metal that separated the patty from the top of
>> the press. I lost it. Probably when we wrecked our fifth wheel in 2005.
>>
>> I have been looking for a replacement and everything I get is not
>> sufficient.

> Janet,
>
> For the longest time I've used:
>
> http://fantes.com/meat-prep.html#burger Look for the cheap-o plastic one, #
> 4121.
>
> Toss a hunk of burger on a paper plate, cover, press!
>
> Have had to replace it a couple times over the years. Pressure and time...
> something's gotta give.
>
> What do you want for $4.00? Maybe order two and get your DH into the act!
>

> BTW, I did change my grinding method to just the course grind (not regrind
> with the fine grind plate) so the burger press doesn't compress the meat as
> densely and they cook up juicy faster AND if you pour anything like
> worchestshire over them while cooking it really gets in the burger faster.
>
> Admittedly, the course ground burgers can be fragile to manage and cook.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Andy,
I have one just like that. I don't much care for it. The burger meat
gets stuck to the top. I'm back to weighing and shaping by hand until I
can find one in a shop where I don't have to pay doug=ble the cost of
the press just to ship it.

Thanks anyway. Much appreciate your help.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:46:59 -0600, "Pete C." > wrote:

>http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
>
>or http://www.cabelas.com/ and search for Item:XJ-515455

Well, that is cool. However it is only useful for hamburgers. I use my
simple hamburger press (bought from Cabela's) for sausage. A sausage in
patty form cooks much more quickly and efficiently than when in a tube form
with minimal contact between the food and the pan.