Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Northern and Southern Rhones in Midtown

On Dec 15, 12:04�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> > 1997 Chave Hermitage Blanc
> > Honied and a little oily, crisp, fresh, �good tropical and pit fruits,
> > very good length. A-

> You have gone on record as saying that you don't get white Rhone.
> Anything in this wine to change your opinion?

Well, I don't usually like white CdP or its little brothers, nor
Condrieu or St Joseph blanc in the North. I'm more likely to enjoy
white Hermitage, but I think if you check my past pronouncements I
admit that, but say I can't afford them. Which $100+ Chaves won't
change.

.. >
> > 1995 Pegau �"Cuvee Reserve" Chateauneuf-du-Pape

> �I am surprised to see the term "jammy" applied to this
> wine, but we do tend to part company a bit in assessing CdP.

We should get you together with the real Jay Miller. I think he called
this and all 3 '01s to have "rotting plums" (as he experiences ripe/
overripe Grenache). Just wish I had my phone camera out when he tasted
the Sabon, face was priceless.

> > 1996 Chapoutier Cornas

> �Putting on your Karnak the
> Magnificent hat, do you think that this wine is likely to get any better
> with age?

It seemed a little tired/flat, I personally wouldn't hold.

> > 1998 Jamet Cote Rotie

�From what
> I've read, the Jamet brothers have lost their way (or gone to the Dark
> Side) in recent years, which is a shame if true.

Sad indeed (if true)