Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Have you tried white tuna?

Dan wrote on Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:29:59 -0500:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 21:38:54 -0500, Dan Logcher
>> > wrote:

>>> Shiro maguro is albacore.. Super White Tuna is what some
>>> places call Oilfish/Escolar. I can get both of them at my favorite
>>> place.

>> Thanks. I've never seen the term *Super* White Tuna before.
>>
>> I know escolar, though, although I've never seen it a sushi
>> bar. I like it's taste, but I don't like what it does to my
>> digestive system, so I've stopped eating it.

> The name is different everywhere I go.. some places just call it white
> tuna, some call it mutzu, etc. I guess we're the
> lucky ones that don't have the ill effects. I've eaten a fair
> amount too in one sitting. Does a pair of nigiri cause
> problems?

We had this discussion a little while ago and it's confusing because
both escolar and albacore can be called "white tuna". From personal
experience, escolar, called "white tuna" by the chef, is *delicious* and
produced the runs for a day. It is banned by the health authorities in
Japan.The problem is the very large oil content and some people are
lucky enough to be able to digest it.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland