Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian
Sqwertz[_27_] Sqwertz[_27_] is offline

Default Clement Restaurant in San Francisco (review)

Geoff Miller wrote:
> Pete Fraser > writes:
>
>> Going back to the British Fish 'n' Chips (or fish supper as
>> it was called in Scotland) I can't remember the food ever
>> contacting the newsprint -- I think there was a inner layer
>> of greaseproof paper.

> That's the way Old Chelsea, that chip shop in San Francisco
> that I've mentioned, used to do it. Which makes sense; any
> appreciable amount of oil or grease would soak through the
> newspaper pretty quickly.

I thought that was the idea behind the newspaper - to absorb oil and
humidity and keep the stuff crispy.

Wiki is a little bit of help on the subject, but not much. It does say
there is usually an inner lining, but not necessarily greaseproof.
Ireland used just newspaper (no lining). But the use of newsprint has
eventually been banned in 1970's-90's in most countries.

-sw