Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Waffles

On Mon 01 Dec 2008 04:35:05p, Dimitri told us...

> This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
> weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.
>
> So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one
> for my MIL who is with us. I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can
> do it herself.
>
> Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more
> day and I made myself a waffle.
>
> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both
> waffles and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really
> an excuse to eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon
> why not? Don't answer that.
>
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
>:-)
>
> Dimitri

As a breakfast item, waffles for me *require* butter and syrup, preferably
with the butter melted and the syrup warmed.

As a dessert, fresh fruit and whipped cream seems ideal. And there are
other flavors of waffles that work well here; e.g., chocolate or
gingerbread waffles. A chocolate waffle sundae is a nice variation, with a
scoop or two of a good vanilla ice cream topping a chocolate waffle and a
drizzle of chocolate syrup.

Fried chicken and waffles is an interesting dinner combination. While I
don’t make it myself, there are a couple of restaurants in Phoenix that
specialize in this combination and their quality is excellent. We go a
couple of times a year.

Plain waffles also serve as a good base for creamed dishes like creamed
chicken or chicken a la king.

Canned fruit? Caviar? Not on mine, thanks.

The diversity of waffles in the US probably reached its zenith between the
1940s through the mid 1950s. The waffle iron usually took a prominent
position on the dining room table for such meals during that period.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 12(XII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 2dys 6hrs 39mins
'3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.'