Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Waffles

This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.

So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one for my
MIL who is with us. I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can do it
herself.

Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more day
and I made myself a waffle.

Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both waffles
and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really an excuse to
eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon why not? Don't
answer that.

So what do you like on waffles?

Butter & Syrup?
Fried chicken?
Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
Canned peaches?
Caviar?

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
> weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.
>
> So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one for
> my MIL who is with us. I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can do it
> herself.

You're making me want to break out our little round waffle maker. I love
lots of butter and real maple syrup. But once I had thawed frozen
strawberries and whipped cream on them (ala strawberry shortcake) and they
were pretty good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 6:35*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
> weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.
>
> So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one for my
> MIL who is with us. *I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can do it
> herself.
>
> Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more day
> and I made myself a waffle.
>
> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both waffles
> and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really an excuse to
> eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon why not? Don't
> answer that.
>
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

I always thought that whipped cream with fresh berries was the perfect
topping for waffles, but others in my family favor much less
traditional choices - honey, browned butter, and even apple sauce.
Yuck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 01 Dec 2008 04:35:05p, Dimitri told us...

> This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
> weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.
>
> So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one
> for my MIL who is with us. I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can
> do it herself.
>
> Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more
> day and I made myself a waffle.
>
> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both
> waffles and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really
> an excuse to eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon
> why not? Don't answer that.
>
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
>:-)
>
> Dimitri

As a breakfast item, waffles for me *require* butter and syrup, preferably
with the butter melted and the syrup warmed.

As a dessert, fresh fruit and whipped cream seems ideal. And there are
other flavors of waffles that work well here; e.g., chocolate or
gingerbread waffles. A chocolate waffle sundae is a nice variation, with a
scoop or two of a good vanilla ice cream topping a chocolate waffle and a
drizzle of chocolate syrup.

Fried chicken and waffles is an interesting dinner combination. While I
don’t make it myself, there are a couple of restaurants in Phoenix that
specialize in this combination and their quality is excellent. We go a
couple of times a year.

Plain waffles also serve as a good base for creamed dishes like creamed
chicken or chicken a la king.

Canned fruit? Caviar? Not on mine, thanks.

The diversity of waffles in the US probably reached its zenith between the
1940s through the mid 1950s. The waffle iron usually took a prominent
position on the dining room table for such meals during that period.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 12(XII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 2dys 6hrs 39mins
'3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both
> waffles and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really
> an excuse to eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon
> why not? Don't answer that.
>
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
> :-)

I much prefer pancakes or crepes to waffles. Sour cream sounds good.
I usually use butter and real maple syrup. There's not much that maple
syrup doesn't improve.

;-)
gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

Butter and syrup. Yum!

I also abandoned my low carb diet for the holiday. My biggest cheat was
pancakes, pecan pie and apples. I miss fruit more than I miss bread,
rice, potatoes or pasta. Who knew!?

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> So what do you like on waffles?

The leftover egg shells, bread crusts, and sausage wrapper from a
real breakfast.

The only waffle you'll see in my house is in the trash can or the
bird feeder.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
> weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.
>
> So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one for
> my MIL who is with us. I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can do it
> herself.
>
> Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more day
> and I made myself a waffle.
>
> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both
> waffles and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really an
> excuse to eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon why
> not? Don't answer that.
>
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

I prefer simply butter and real maple syrup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

<snip>
>> So what do you like on waffles?
>> Butter & Syrup?
>> Fried chicken?
>> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
>> Canned peaches?
>> Caviar?
>> :-)
>> Dimitri

> I prefer simply butter and real maple syrup
>
> Jill

That's all one ever needs, assuming we're talkin' melted butter and a gutsy
Grade B syrup.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I mix up a bit of applesauce, maple syrup and some blueberry jam -
heat in mike and use to pour over waffles or dip 'em. Straight syrup
is too sicky sweet for me.

Leftover waffles? I toast em lightly and spread with peanut butter
and cream cheese - form a sandwich - nice grab and go. Do em ahead
and have a handy snack for the car, late night munching.

I tend to make waffles by the ton - I could eat em every day. I mix a
large batch of the dry ingreeds ahead, then just toss in an egg and a
cup of yogurt to a cup of the dry stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 19:15:03 -0800 (PST), val189
> wrote:

>I tend to make waffles by the ton - I could eat em every day. I mix a
>large batch of the dry ingreeds ahead, then just toss in an egg and a
>cup of yogurt to a cup of the dry stuff.

Howdy,

Do you leaven them with yeast or chemically?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri asked:

> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?

Sour-cherry conserve.

Toasted pecans in malt syrup.

Fresh peaches, toasted almonds, and *unwhipped* cream.

Otherwise, Grade B maple syrup.

I skip adding butter, since all the waffles I make contain plenty of butter
already.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 00:29:41 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Canned fruit? Caviar? Not on mine, thanks.

or chicken for that matter.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 21:47:44 -0500, "Felice" >
wrote:

>That's all one ever needs, assuming we're talkin' melted butter and a gutsy
>Grade B syrup.

The butter melts if the waffle is hot... as for grade B, yeah -
"gutsy" is a good word for it. LOL

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" ha scritto nel messaggio > This morning I noticed some left over
waffle batter in the fridge from a > weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who
were up for the holiday.

> Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more day
> and I made myself a waffle.
>
> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both
> waffles > and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really
> an excuse to eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon
> why not? Don't answer that.

Dimitri

Anything that's nice with crepes/crespelli is nice with waffles. The waffle
Sunday supper is very tempting to revive, especially here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
> weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.
>
> So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one for my
> MIL who is with us. I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can do it
> herself.
>
> Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more day
> and I made myself a waffle.
>
> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both waffles
> and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really an excuse to
> eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon why not? Don't
> answer that.
>
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

Butter, powdered sugar and fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Barring that, butter and maple syrup, or butter and strawberry jam.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 10:37 pm, Kenneth > wrote:

> Do you leaven them with yeast or chemically?

Baking powder and soda are in the mix.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 5:35*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> This morning I noticed some left over waffle batter in the fridge from a
> weekend breakfast for the Grandkids who were up for the holiday.
>
> So out came the the single el-cheapo waffle maker so I could make one for my
> MIL who is with us. *I use a shot glass for the syrup so she can do it
> herself.
>
> Well since I went off the low carb for the holiday I figured one more day
> and I made myself a waffle.
>
> Now I have liked butter & sour cream and either syrup or jam on both waffles
> and crêpes and pancakes since I was a kid - I know it's really an excuse to
> eat sour cream and butter - sinful but once in a blue moon why not? Don't
> answer that.
>
> So what do you like on waffles?
>
> Butter & Syrup?
> Fried chicken?
> Fresh fruit & whipped cream?
> Canned peaches?
> Caviar?
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

I like butter and syrup, but I wouldn't keep batter longer than one
overnight stay in the fridge....that's just me.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:10:33 -0800 (PST), val189
> wrote:

>On Dec 1, 10:37 pm, Kenneth > wrote:
>
>> Do you leaven them with yeast or chemically?

>Baking powder and soda are in the mix.

Hello again,

You might give this a try:

The evening before baking the waffles -

mix to form a smooth batter

1 quart of milk
3/4 tsp yeast
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp sugar
640g low protein flour
1 1/4 stick melted butter

Let that sit at room temperature over night. Be sure it is
in a large container as it will more than triple in volume.

Then, just prior to baking add:

3 beaten eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix, and then bake.

I know that once I tried these, I never went back...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
> On Dec 1, 10:37 pm, Kenneth > wrote:
>
>> Do you leaven them with yeast or chemically?

> Baking powder and soda are in the mix.

Don't forget the NaCl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 10:34*am, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:10:33 -0800 (PST), val189
>
> > wrote:
> >On Dec 1, 10:37 pm, Kenneth > wrote:

> >> Do you leaven them with yeast or chemically?

> >Baking powder and soda are in the mix.

> Hello again,
>
> You might give this a try:
>
> The evening before baking the waffles -
>
> * * * * mix to form a smooth batter
>
> * * * * * * * * * 1 quart of milk
> * * * * * * * * * * * * 3/4 tsp yeast
> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.5 tsp salt
> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.5 tsp sugar
> * * * * * * * * * * * * 640g low protein flour
> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1 1/4 stick melted butter
>
> Let that sit at room temperature over night. Be sure it is
> in a large container as it will more than triple in volume.
>
> Then, just prior to baking add:
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * 3 beaten eggs
> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1/2 tsp baking soda
>
> Mix, and then bake.
>
> I know that once I tried these, I never went back...
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Mmmm- sourdough- I made those this last weekend!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:06:20 -0800 (PST), merryb
> wrote:

>On Dec 2, 10:34*am, Kenneth > wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:10:33 -0800 (PST), val189
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Baking powder and soda are in the mix.

>> Hello again,
>>
>> You might give this a try:
>>
>> The evening before baking the waffles -
>>
>> * * * * mix to form a smooth batter
>>
>> * * * * * * * * * 1 quart of milk
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * 3/4 tsp yeast
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.5 tsp salt
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.5 tsp sugar
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * 640g low protein flour
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1 1/4 stick melted butter
>>
>> Let that sit at room temperature over night. Be sure it is
>> in a large container as it will more than triple in volume.
>>
>> Then, just prior to baking add:
>>
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * 3 beaten eggs
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1/2 tsp baking soda
>>
>> Mix, and then bake.
>>
>> I know that once I tried these, I never went back...
>>
>> All the best,
>> --
>> Kenneth
>>
>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

>Mmmm- sourdough- I made those this last weekend!

Hello again,

The technique I have described is not a sourdough. It uses
dry yeast.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 4:00*pm, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:06:20 -0800 (PST), merryb
>

> > wrote:
> >On Dec 2, 10:34*am, Kenneth > wrote:
> >> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:10:33 -0800 (PST), val189

> >> Hello again,

> >> You might give this a try:

> >> The evening before baking the waffles -

> >> * * * * mix to form a smooth batter

> >> * * * * * * * * * 1 quart of milk
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * 3/4 tsp yeast
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.5 tsp salt
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1.5 tsp sugar
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * 640g low protein flour
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1 1/4 stick melted butter

> >> Let that sit at room temperature over night. Be sure it is
> >> in a large container as it will more than triple in volume.

> >> Then, just prior to baking add:

> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * 3 beaten eggs
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * 1/2 tsp baking soda

> >> Mix, and then bake.

> >> I know that once I tried these, I never went back...

> >> All the best,
> >> --
> >> Kenneth

> >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

> >Mmmm- sourdough- I made those this last weekend!

> Hello again,
>
> The technique I have described is not a sourdough. It uses
> dry yeast.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but that's what they call the recipe
in "Joy of Cooking". I've made pancakes out of my starter, but they
were too sour for my taste- I think it was basically starter with a
coupla eggs added to it...