Harry Demidavicius

Default Ribs Ribs & More Ribs

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:02:15 -0500, "Ricky" >
wrote:

>"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry > wrote in message
.com...
>> Ricky,
>> I have a Kamado and I burn lump charcoal in it. For smoke, I add a
>> fist-sized chunk or two of foil-wrapped wood buried in the lump. It takes

>> while for the heat of the fire to make the wood chunk smolder, so you

>can't
>> use this techinque "at the last minute." As for the pinholes, it makes no
>> difference where they are, it's just to allow the smoke out. The foil

>keeps
>> the wood from catching fire and burning up fast. This techinque should

>work
>> just fine on your Backwoods if you add a few wrapped chunks 10-20 minutes
>> before putting your meat on, and if you want more smoke, toss another

>chunk
>> or two in later.
>> When you're done, the wrapped chunks have turned in to charcoal.
>> Jack Curry

>Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow.

Ricky - I have found the trick to be in the timing. The wood chunks
need to start smoking after the coals are ready but before the meat
reaches the stage where it stops absorbing smoke flavour. I dampen
the wood chunks slightly [ not soak], so that they go longer before
flaming out.

Harry