Mario Taormina

Default Ribs Ribs & More Ribs

I have been smoking meats only a short time and I had the good fortune to
smoke 6 slabs of baby backs yesterday. We had 45 degree temps yesterday in
the Hudson Valley NY. I dry rubbed the ribs the day before and wrapped them
in plastic wrap. At 11AM I put them in a gas fired 'Q with a combination of
seasoned Hickory & Cherry wood chips that have been soaked in water for 1
hr. I put a metal container in the smoker with 1 Coors Beer, 3 oz apple
juice, 3 oz water 3 oz of cider vinegar and a half of an onion (Sliced)
Smoked ribs for 1 hr @ 250 then 4 more hours at 225. I mopped the ribs
withg sauce and let them continue to cook at 225 for 3 more hours (turning
only once).

They were unbelivable!!!! Moist, meaty(unusual for most baby backs that I
have had) and tender. NO NORE PAR BOILED RIBS AGAIN!!!!!! I am learning
that patience and temp control are are the keys to great 'Q

Mario Taormina
Hudson Valley, NY

bbq

Mario Taormina wrote:
> I have been smoking meats only a short time and I had the good fortune to
> smoke 6 slabs of baby backs yesterday. We had 45 degree temps yesterday in
> the Hudson Valley NY. I dry rubbed the ribs the day before and wrapped them
> in plastic wrap. At 11AM I put them in a gas fired 'Q with a combination of
> seasoned Hickory & Cherry wood chips that have been soaked in water for 1
> hr. I put a metal container in the smoker with 1 Coors Beer, 3 oz apple
> juice, 3 oz water 3 oz of cider vinegar and a half of an onion (Sliced)
> Smoked ribs for 1 hr @ 250 then 4 more hours at 225. I mopped the ribs
> withg sauce and let them continue to cook at 225 for 3 more hours (turning
> only once).

Congratulations on a successful cook. Most people apply the mop the last
15-20 minutes. But if you liked them, that is what counts.

> They were unbelivable!!!! Moist, meaty(unusual for most baby backs that I
> have had) and tender. NO NORE PAR BOILED RIBS AGAIN!!!!!! I am learning
> that patience and temp control are are the keys to great 'Q

Again congratulations and welcome to this group. There is a
alt.binaries.food newsgroup that many post pics of there cooking,
whether it is Q'ed or oven cooked. If you gotta camera, pics always
welcome on alt.binaries.food

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

> Mario Taormina
> Hudson Valley, NY

Jack Curry

Mario Taormina wrote:
> I have been smoking meats only a short time and I had the good
> fortune to smoke 6 slabs of baby backs yesterday. We had 45 degree
> temps yesterday in the Hudson Valley NY. I dry rubbed the ribs the
> day before and wrapped them in plastic wrap. At 11AM I put them in a
> gas fired 'Q with a combination of seasoned Hickory & Cherry wood
> chips that have been soaked in water for 1 hr. I put a metal
> container in the smoker with 1 Coors Beer, 3 oz apple juice, 3 oz
> water 3 oz of cider vinegar and a half of an onion (Sliced) Smoked
> ribs for 1 hr @ 250 then 4 more hours at 225. I mopped the ribs
> withg sauce and let them continue to cook at 225 for 3 more hours
> (turning only once).
>
> They were unbelivable!!!! Moist, meaty(unusual for most baby backs
> that I have had) and tender. NO NORE PAR BOILED RIBS AGAIN!!!!!! I
> am learning that patience and temp control are are the keys to great
> 'Q
>
> Mario Taormina
> Hudson Valley, NY

Good job, Mario. Next time, try using one or two wood chunks instead of
chips. Don't soak them, but wrap them tightly in a double layer of tinfoil,
then punch a few pinholes in the foil. The chunks will smolder emitting
smoke and last much longer than chips.
Jack Curry

Ricky

"Jack Curry" wrote
> Good job, Mario. Next time, try using one or two wood chunks instead of
> chips. Don't soak them, but wrap them tightly in a double layer of

tinfoil,
> then punch a few pinholes in the foil. The chunks will smolder emitting
> smoke and last much longer than chips.
> Jack Curry

Jack,
I've never heard of that technique before. Sounds interesting and I'm
going to try it tomorrow. What type of cooker do you use? I have a Backwoods
that I normally use 6 good sized chunks for just the first load of fuel. I
throw the wood in at the same time the meat goes in.
BTW do you punch the holes all around the foil or just on top?

Ricky (the former Boca Boys cook team)

Jack Curry

Ricky wrote:
> "Jack Curry" wrote
>> Good job, Mario. Next time, try using one or two wood chunks
>> instead of chips. Don't soak them, but wrap them tightly in a
>> double layer of tinfoil, then punch a few pinholes in the foil. The
>> chunks will smolder emitting smoke and last much longer than chips.
>> Jack Curry

> Jack,
> I've never heard of that technique before. Sounds interesting and
> I'm going to try it tomorrow. What type of cooker do you use? I have
> a Backwoods that I normally use 6 good sized chunks for just the
> first load of fuel. I throw the wood in at the same time the meat
> goes in. BTW do you punch the holes all around the foil or just
> on top?
>
> Ricky (the former Boca Boys cook team)

Ricky,
I have a Kamado and I burn lump charcoal in it. For smoke, I add a
fist-sized chunk or two of foil-wrapped wood buried in the lump. It takes a
while for the heat of the fire to make the wood chunk smolder, so you can't
use this techinque "at the last minute." As for the pinholes, it makes no
difference where they are, it's just to allow the smoke out. The foil keeps
the wood from catching fire and burning up fast. This techinque should work
just fine on your Backwoods if you add a few wrapped chunks 10-20 minutes
before putting your meat on, and if you want more smoke, toss another chunk
or two in later.
When you're done, the wrapped chunks have turned in to charcoal.
Jack Curry