Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal

With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was on
Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite relieved
when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for Thanksgiving. Oh thank
bast, I don't have to cook!

My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area chain. They
offered their regular menu but also had a few "specials" for Thanksgiving.
I really don't like turkey but I knew they were also offering roasted pork
loin. Okay, I can live with that But when we got there they'd added
another "special" to the menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.

I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when they
became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death in every
possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It almost seemed to have
some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy outside (but no sort of breading
<shudder>) and fork tender and juicy inside.

They also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
sauce! Both the salmon and the shrimp were topped with a lovely herbed
cream sauce, served on a bed of rice. But hey, this is the south. I also
had to select two side dishes (and no, macaroni & cheese wasn't one of them
LOL). I chose broccoli casserole and spinach. It never occurred to me I'd
get a double whammy of rice since broccoli casserole, which I've made many
times in the past, also contains rice. But no matter. I couldn't eat half
of my dinner anyway. So I <gasp> asked for a to-go box.

This place routinely places a basket of bread on the table. It includes
delicious pumpkin bread which tastes a lot like gingerbread to me. Also
jalapeno cornbread and huge whole wheat rolls.

Anyway, it was a very good, albeit rather odd, Thanksgiving meal. I
couldn't quite identify what herbs were in that cream sauce. I've made
basil cream sauces in the past but this wasn't basil. And not quite strong
enough to be tarragon. Since technically I'm from out of town I plan to
call the restaurant just before they open for lunch today to see if I can
get the recipe for that salmon/shrimp & sauce. All they can do is say no.
And sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will actually give you their recipes.

Hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful day.
And thank you all for your kind words after my mother's death. They are
much appreciated.

Jill