barry

Default gas oven

"Alan" > wrote in message
> Thanks for your advise:
> my gas oven heat up to the tempreture according to the preset heat,but
> sometimes when it overshot,the gas burner still fire
> and never went down,i wonder is the thermostat still in proper function?
> where can find the thermostat from the oven,where can i get replacement
> parts if it is not working.

The thermostat is an electric device. You can probably buy one and install
it yourself, if you have the manual or can get it online and you can find
the part. If you can't do this, you'll have to buy the part and have it
installed for you. I have done this on electric ovens, when it's just a
matter of replacing a burned-out element or thermostat. On the other hand,
electricity isn't explosive and electric equipment isn't as stringently
covered by various Building Codes as is gas equipment. ("I smell gas." is
the surest way to get a bunch of people off their duffs and into your house
pronto. when was the last time anyone said "I smell electricity?")

The part will probably cost about $30 and the service call will be around
$100, both plus tax. Total cost around $150, just as a guess. As an
example, I remember the heating element on a Thermador electric oven cost
around $50 and took about a half-hour to replace.

I have 38 gas stoves with ovens and 4 325,000BTU boilers. I do not do any
of my own gas-unit repairs, even though I am a very good mechanic, at least
on automobiles and other machinery. By the nature of your questions, I
assume you are not a qualified mechanic or contractor.

I also do not repair gas ovens. I replace the stove when the oven fails. I
figure that fixing an oven is just wasting money. A gas oven has a service
life of 10-20 years, depending on use and quality, so if it fails after 12
years, that's it. We buy good quality, reliable stoves and spend anywhere
from $325 to $500. (30", 4 burners, standard oven with broiler, pilot light
or electronic ignition).

As for modifying an oven to add a broiler, forget it. There are so many
possible Building or Municipal Code violations here that I can't even begin
to list them. If you buy a new gas stove/oven, make sure that your
installation meets your local Code.

Barry