Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_7_] sf[_7_] is offline

Default How you can save fuel and the environment

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:19:50 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>Modern skis are about a quarter shorter than they were just a few
>short years ago. Today the average ht/wt adult uses downhill skis
>150-160 centimeters. In fact ski lodges won't permit the old
>fashioned long skis on their slopes anymore, they're much less
>manueverable, much too dangerous to other skiers.

Where did you get this information?

>Nowadays skis fit
>easily into a Corolla, hardly anyone carries skis on a roof rack
>anymore.

The short ones probably do if the trunk is empty, but many people have
luggage in their trunks so their skis go on a roof rack. I know some
cars (I owned one) have a hole that opens from the trunk into the
car's interior so skis can be carried between the seats. I have
trouble visualizing more than one set of skis though, maybe it can
carry two if you stack them and use bungee cords to keep them from
slipping.

>If anyone shows up with old style skis these days they'll be
>made to leave them outside the lodge and they'll need to rent or go
>home.

That's not true. I've never heard of anyone being turned away due to
the length of their skis. In general, novice skiers wear short skis,
expert skiers wear long(er) skis.... unless they're on snowboards.

Mae West