Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default How you can save fuel and the environment

On Nov 16, 2:38�pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:09:39 -0800 (PST),
> wrote:
>
> >On Nov 16, 6:32 am, Energy Saver > wrote:
> > - Reduce drag by placing items inside
> >> the car or trunk rather than on roof racks. A roof rack or carrier
> >> provides additional cargo space and may allow you to buy a smaller
> >> car. However, a loaded roof rack can decrease your fuel economy by
> >> 5%.-

> >I see those Ex-cargo things on car roofs when I"m on the highways. I
> >often wonder what the heck ppl are transporting in them. � �Anyone
> >here use one?

> Ex-cargo.... those enclosed boxy things? �The only time I notice them,
> the car is loaded with family, so I assume they're either moving or on
> a long road trip. �I'd never consider one for myself. �The thing
> people around here use are roof racks for skis - if they don't drive a
> gas guzzling SUV that they can throw their skis inside.

Modern skis are about a quarter shorter than they were just a few
short years ago. Today the average ht/wt adult uses downhill skis
150-160 centimeters. In fact ski lodges won't permit the old
fashioned long skis on their slopes anymore, they're much less
manueverable, much too dangerous to other skiers. Nowadays skis fit
easily into a Corolla, hardly anyone carries skis on a roof rack
anymore. If anyone shows up with old style skis these days they'll be
made to leave them outside the lodge and they'll need to rent or go
home.