Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
spud spud is offline

Default Fortified white port and adding sugar

According to "Wine" by Amerine & Singlton Calif. Ports are typically
20 x 7. That's 20% abv and 7deg Brix sweetness.

For your Gerwerz. might start out a lower than that see how it goes.
Don't want to loose that spicy nose against the brandy.

These folks make some fine desert wines:
http://www.quadywinery.com/wines.html

IIRC there Orange Muscat and Hamburg Muscats run around 16% and retain
the floral nose and flavor of the muscat.

Steve
Oregon