Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Fortified white port and adding sugar

I am making a gewurtztrauminer white port (adding Oregon Clear Creek
apple brandy). I have 1 gallon of wine made from grapes grown in my
backyard, to which I will add 750mL of brandy to bring the alcohol
level to around 17% (based on 12% predicted alcohol of the must).

My trouble is: the wine as it is before adding the brandy is VERY
dry. No residual sugar exists since the full packet of yeast nuked
every grain of sugar in there. I having trouble deciding how much
table sugar to add to this mix. The brandy is on the dry side but not
bone dry like other brandies I tasted. Is this simply an add to taste
deal that I do just before bottling and then add wine stabilizer.

Also, do I need to add camden tabs the mix before bottling with an
alcohol of 17%?

Thanks much for any help!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Nov 12, 5:34*pm, wrote:
> I am making a gewurtztrauminer white port (adding Oregon Clear Creek
> apple brandy). *I have 1 gallon of wine made from grapes grown in my
> backyard, to which I will add 750mL of brandy to bring the alcohol
> level to around 17% (based on 12% predicted alcohol of the must).
>
> My trouble is: the wine as it is before adding the brandy is VERY
> dry. *No residual sugar exists since the full packet of yeast nuked
> every grain of sugar in there. *I having trouble deciding how much
> table sugar to add to this mix. *The brandy is on the dry side but not
> bone dry like other brandies I tasted. *Is this simply an add to taste
> deal that I do just before bottling and then add wine stabilizer.
>
> Also, do I need to add camden tabs the mix before bottling with an
> alcohol of 17%?
>
> Thanks much for any help!
>
> Jon

I would add to taste, yes. You probably don't need any sorbate at that
alcohol level unless you used a strong yeast like EC1118.

I would add sulfite if you plan on keeping the wine for a while - and
it will need some time for the brandy to integrate with the wine.

Pp
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'm guessing you let the wine ferment all the way out before adding
the brandy.
If you know what the starting sugar in the must is, add the brandy at
a point say, where there is 3 % sugar remaining.
The addition of brandy will bring the total alcohol to about 18..20 %,
and should stop the yeast action.

In your existing case, you could add sugar to taste. Use raw
unprocessed sugar if you can get it. Processed sugar adds a
distinctive unpleasant flavor to the wine. (my opinion)
I would still sulfide it to 50ppm to prevent oxidation, if you plan on
keeping it for a while.
Wino in CA

wrote:
> I am making a gewurtztrauminer white port (adding Oregon Clear Creek
> apple brandy). I have 1 gallon of wine made from grapes grown in my
> backyard, to which I will add 750mL of brandy to bring the alcohol
> level to around 17% (based on 12% predicted alcohol of the must).
>
> My trouble is: the wine as it is before adding the brandy is VERY
> dry. No residual sugar exists since the full packet of yeast nuked
> every grain of sugar in there. I having trouble deciding how much
> table sugar to add to this mix. The brandy is on the dry side but not
> bone dry like other brandies I tasted. Is this simply an add to taste
> deal that I do just before bottling and then add wine stabilizer.
>
> Also, do I need to add camden tabs the mix before bottling with an
> alcohol of 17%?
>
> Thanks much for any help!
>
> Jon

adding sugar to muffin recipe Marge Baking 2 16-04-2007 12:39 AM
Adding Sugar During Primary Fermentation fish head Winemaking 1 06-09-2006 02:25 AM
Adding sugar?? JM Winemaking 2 01-09-2004 12:57 AM
adding sugar JM Winemaking 4 31-08-2004 09:55 PM
Calculation for adding sugar? David C Breeden Winemaking 16 14-07-2004 07:57 PM