Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_7_] Jeßus[_7_] is offline

Default Refrigerating items with dairy or eggs

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:15:21 -0700, wrote:

> There's a discussion on another message board as to whether any product
> made with dairy or eggs has to be kept refrigerated. Before you say
> yes, ask yourself do you refrigerate things like candies, cookies,
> cakes, or breads. Everyone else seems to think that if a homemade
> product contains dairy or eggs, no matter what it is, it has to be kept
> refrigerated. I seem to be the lone holdout who says it depends on what
> the item is. For example, I don't refrigerate pumpkin pie or pecan pie,
> even though they both contain eggs. I do, however, refrigerate savory
> items like soups, quiches, and casseroles whether they contain meat or
> not.

My pots of stew (have one on the fire right now) often sit overnight
unheated, this can go on for several days sometimes. Its never, ever gone
'bad'. Same for the Kefir (fermented milk) I make... it never sees a
refrigerator as a rule. And the butter... and the fresh meat hung in the
shed...