Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that authentic
> recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

The recipe from the Southern Cook Book 322 old Dixie Recipes Copyright 1939
calls for the following:

Short'n nin' Bread

4 cups Flour
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Pound Butter

Mix Flour & Sugar - add butter
Place on a floured surface and pat to 1/2 inch thickness.
Cut into desired shapes and bake in a moderate oven (325-350F) for 20 to 25
minutes.

I am nor sure this is the same as shortbread as the shortbread recipes I
have use white sugar & more butter.

i.e. Betty Croker 3/4 cup butter 1/4 cup sugar 2 cups flour.

Dimitri