General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,207
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

Hello All!

There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
--


James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 932
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

On Oct 29, 9:33*am, "James Silverton"
wrote:
Hello All!

There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


AFAIK yes. Although the sugar in Scottish shortbread would most
likely be white,
Also the butter MUST be real!
Lynn in Fargo
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36,804
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
On Oct 29, 9:33 am, "James Silverton"
wrote:
Hello All!

There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland


AFAIK yes. Although the sugar in Scottish shortbread would most
likely be white,
Also the butter MUST be real!
Lynn in Fargo



My Scottish grandmother's recipe specifically stated don't use margarine!
And yes, the sugar is white, not brown sugar.

Jill

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24,847
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Hello All!

There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?



James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.

Shortnin' bread is white bread, sugar and milk.

That's what mom taught me anyway. :-) Your googles may vary.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,415
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:16:31 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Hello All!

There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?



James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.

Shortnin' bread is white bread, sugar and milk.

That's what mom taught me anyway. :-) Your googles may vary.



The recipe from "The Southern Cookbook" says flour, brown sugar and
butter.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24,847
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:16:31 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Hello All!

There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?



James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.

Shortnin' bread is white bread, sugar and milk.

That's what mom taught me anyway. :-) Your googles may vary.



The recipe from "The Southern Cookbook" says flour, brown sugar and
butter.


Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d

And that's not a bad thing.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,830
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:26:57 -0600, Omelet
wrote:


The recipe from "The Southern Cookbook" says flour, brown sugar and
butter.


Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d

And that's not a bad thing.


Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
will tell you who she is. I got this on 3/3/03. It's great with
milk, coffee, tea, or even better with beer.

Lou

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Cornmeal Shortbread

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
1 min
Cook Time:
15 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
80 cookies

1 cup butter
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
3/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the
powdered sugar and mix in. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Add the
dry ingredients and mix until blended.

Roll into 1 1/2-inch logs and roll in cornmeal to coat. Wrap in
plastic wrap and chill at least one hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Slice shortbread dough thinly and bake on a silpat or parchment paper
for 12 to 15 minutes. The shortbread will still be blonde, and they
will crisp once cool.


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,949
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:28:06 -0500, Lou Decruss
wrote:


Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
will tell you who she is.


No, she isn't on FoodTV anymore. She is a highly respected pastry
chef... I remember her shows, and I learned several things from
her...not that I can remember them anymore!!

I think she was on with Julia Child, in one of her Baking with Julia
episodes.

Christine
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,830
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:32:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:28:06 -0500, Lou Decruss
wrote:


Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
will tell you who she is.


No, she isn't on FoodTV anymore. She is a highly respected pastry
chef... I remember her shows, and I learned several things from
her...not that I can remember them anymore!!

I think she was on with Julia Child, in one of her Baking with Julia
episodes.

Christine


Yep. Chef and part owner of:

http://www.trurestaurant.com/welcome.html

Not a cheap place. It always gets the top marks in Chicago magazine.
Also the top price range. sigh

She is a very cool woman. I think she's from Evanston which is where
Chris M from Tex-ass was originally from.

Lou
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,949
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:39:14 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:


Cornmeal Shortbread


1 cup butter
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
3/4 teaspoon salt



And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.



Uhh.... Flour is wheat free? LOL.

Christine


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24,847
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:

Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d

And that's not a bad thing.


Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
will tell you who she is. I got this on 3/3/03. It's great with
milk, coffee, tea, or even better with beer.

Lou

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...d-recipe/index.
html

Cornmeal Shortbread

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
1 min
Cook Time:
15 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
80 cookies

1 cup butter
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
3/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the
powdered sugar and mix in. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Add the
dry ingredients and mix until blended.

Roll into 1 1/2-inch logs and roll in cornmeal to coat. Wrap in
plastic wrap and chill at least one hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Slice shortbread dough thinly and bake on a silpat or parchment paper
for 12 to 15 minutes. The shortbread will still be blonde, and they
will crisp once cool.


Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
posting it.

And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24,847
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:

Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d

And that's not a bad thing.


Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
will tell you who she is. I got this on 3/3/03. It's great with
milk, coffee, tea, or even better with beer.

Lou

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ad-recipe/inde
x.
html

Cornmeal Shortbread

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
1 min
Cook Time:
15 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
80 cookies

1 cup butter
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
3/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the
powdered sugar and mix in. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Add the
dry ingredients and mix until blended.

Roll into 1 1/2-inch logs and roll in cornmeal to coat. Wrap in
plastic wrap and chill at least one hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Slice shortbread dough thinly and bake on a silpat or parchment paper
for 12 to 15 minutes. The shortbread will still be blonde, and they
will crisp once cool.


Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
posting it.

And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.


Sorry, I mis-posted. Should have been wheat reduced, not wheat free!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24,847
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

In article ,
Christine Dabney wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:39:14 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:


Cornmeal Shortbread


1 cup butter
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
3/4 teaspoon salt



And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.



Uhh.... Flour is wheat free? LOL.

Christine


My bad. I reposted about that. Sorry. blush

I've been awake for awhile.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,830
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:47:45 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

big snip

Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
posting it.

And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.


Sorry, I mis-posted. Should have been wheat reduced, not wheat free!


Actually it's very interesting. So I make it a lot. Wheat isn't a
problem for me so I don't understand that end of it. I'm wondering if
maybe you could replace half the flour with it? I don't understand
the properties of each but I'd be willing to try it.

So I just put 2 sticks of butter in a bowl to soften. You bad OM!! I
didn't plan on this today. I have the masa and everything else so
it's worth a try unless you or someone else tells me it won't work.
The KA is at the cottage to I'll have to use the hand mixer but it
should be fine.

I'll report back with pictures. (maybe)

OH! Rolling the logs is easiest by rough forming them in a buttered
baking dish and rocking it back and forth.

Lou
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24,847
Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:47:45 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

big snip

Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
posting it.

And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.


Sorry, I mis-posted. Should have been wheat reduced, not wheat free!


Actually it's very interesting. So I make it a lot. Wheat isn't a
problem for me so I don't understand that end of it. I'm wondering if
maybe you could replace half the flour with it? I don't understand
the properties of each but I'd be willing to try it.


I can tolerate limited amounts of wheat, so long as I don't pig out on
it.

So I just put 2 sticks of butter in a bowl to soften. You bad OM!! I
didn't plan on this today. I have the masa and everything else so
it's worth a try unless you or someone else tells me it won't work.
The KA is at the cottage to I'll have to use the hand mixer but it
should be fine.

I'll report back with pictures. (maybe)


snicker
They are good cookies and oh GODS the childhood memories shorbreads have
for me! It'd be worth the indigestion. ;-)


OH! Rolling the logs is easiest by rough forming them in a buttered
baking dish and rocking it back and forth.

Lou


Mom rolled them between two sheets of waxed paper.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shortbread 3 notbob General Cooking 7 05-12-2009 12:30 AM
Shortbread again notbob General Cooking 9 22-11-2009 05:05 AM
Shortbread Kathy General Cooking 2 16-12-2005 08:39 AM
Bread flour in Shortbread recipie...results baker1 Baking 0 08-11-2005 03:36 AM
Bread flour for shortbread? baker1 Baking 6 02-11-2005 10:54 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017