Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortbread and shortenin' bread.

Hello All!

There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 9:33*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
> authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

AFAIK yes. Although the sugar in Scottish shortbread would most
likely be white,
Also the butter MUST be real!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Oct 29, 9:33 am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
>> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
>> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
>> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
>> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
>> authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
>> --
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>

> AFAIK yes. Although the sugar in Scottish shortbread would most
> likely be white,
> Also the butter MUST be real!
> Lynn in Fargo

My Scottish grandmother's recipe specifically stated don't use margarine!
And yes, the sugar is white, not brown sugar.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
> authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
> ‚‚Ý
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.

Shortnin' bread is white bread, sugar and milk.

That's what mom taught me anyway. :-) Your googles may vary.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:16:31 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
>> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
>> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
>> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
>> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
>> authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
>> ‚‚Ý
>>

>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> Email, with obvious alterations:
>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.
>
>Shortnin' bread is white bread, sugar and milk.
>
>That's what mom taught me anyway. :-) Your googles may vary.

The recipe from "The Southern Cookbook" says flour, brown sugar and
butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:16:31 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "James Silverton" > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All!
> >>
> >> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
> >> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
> >> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
> >> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
> >> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
> >> authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
> >> ‚‚Ý
> >>

> >> James Silverton
> >> Potomac, Maryland
> >>
> >> Email, with obvious alterations:
> >> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> >Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.
> >
> >Shortnin' bread is white bread, sugar and milk.
> >
> >That's what mom taught me anyway. :-) Your googles may vary.

> The recipe from "The Southern Cookbook" says flour, brown sugar and
> butter.

Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d

And that's not a bad thing.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:26:57 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>> The recipe from "The Southern Cookbook" says flour, brown sugar and
>> butter.

>Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d
>
>And that's not a bad thing.

Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
will tell you who she is. I got this on 3/3/03. It's great with
milk, coffee, tea, or even better with beer.

Lou

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Cornmeal Shortbread

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
1 min
Cook Time:
15 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
80 cookies

1 cup butter
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
3/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the
powdered sugar and mix in. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Add the
dry ingredients and mix until blended.

Roll into 1 1/2-inch logs and roll in cornmeal to coat. Wrap in
plastic wrap and chill at least one hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Slice shortbread dough thinly and bake on a silpat or parchment paper
for 12 to 15 minutes. The shortbread will still be blonde, and they
will crisp once cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:28:06 -0500, Lou Decruss >
wrote:

>Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
>don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
>will tell you who she is.

No, she isn't on FoodTV anymore. She is a highly respected pastry
chef... I remember her shows, and I learned several things from
her...not that I can remember them anymore!!

I think she was on with Julia Child, in one of her Baking with Julia
episodes.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:32:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:28:06 -0500, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:
>

>>Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
>>don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
>>will tell you who she is.

>No, she isn't on FoodTV anymore. She is a highly respected pastry
>chef... I remember her shows, and I learned several things from
>her...not that I can remember them anymore!!
>
>I think she was on with Julia Child, in one of her Baking with Julia
>episodes.
>
>Christine

Yep. Chef and part owner of:

http://www.trurestaurant.com/welcome.html

Not a cheap place. It always gets the top marks in Chicago magazine.
Also the top price range. <sigh>

She is a very cool woman. I think she's from Evanston which is where
Chris M from Tex-ass was originally from.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:39:14 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:

>> Cornmeal Shortbread

>> 1 cup butter
>> 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>> 2 cups flour
>> 6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
>> 3/4 teaspoon salt

>And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.

Uhh.... Flour is wheat free? LOL.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d
> >
> >And that's not a bad thing.

> Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
> don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
> will tell you who she is. I got this on 3/3/03. It's great with
> milk, coffee, tea, or even better with beer.
>
> Lou
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...d-recipe/index.
> html
>
> Cornmeal Shortbread
>
> Prep Time:
> 15 min
> Inactive Prep Time:
> 1 min
> Cook Time:
> 15 min
>
> Level:
> Easy
>
> Serves:
> 80 cookies
>
> 1 cup butter
> 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 2 cups flour
> 6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
> 3/4 teaspoon salt
>
> In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the
> powdered sugar and mix in. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Add the
> dry ingredients and mix until blended.
>
> Roll into 1 1/2-inch logs and roll in cornmeal to coat. Wrap in
> plastic wrap and chill at least one hour or overnight.
>
> Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
>
> Slice shortbread dough thinly and bake on a silpat or parchment paper
> for 12 to 15 minutes. The shortbread will still be blonde, and they
> will crisp once cool.

Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
posting it.

And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> > >Everybody's versions are going to vary. ;-d
> > >
> > >And that's not a bad thing.

> > Yep. It's a very good thing. Gale Gand was on foodtv before but I
> > don't watch it any more so I don't know if she still is. Googling
> > will tell you who she is. I got this on 3/3/03. It's great with
> > milk, coffee, tea, or even better with beer.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ad-recipe/inde
> > x.
> > html
> >
> > Cornmeal Shortbread
> >
> > Prep Time:
> > 15 min
> > Inactive Prep Time:
> > 1 min
> > Cook Time:
> > 15 min
> >
> > Level:
> > Easy
> >
> > Serves:
> > 80 cookies
> >
> > 1 cup butter
> > 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> > 2 cups flour
> > 6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
> > 3/4 teaspoon salt
> >
> > In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the
> > powdered sugar and mix in. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Add the
> > dry ingredients and mix until blended.
> >
> > Roll into 1 1/2-inch logs and roll in cornmeal to coat. Wrap in
> > plastic wrap and chill at least one hour or overnight.
> >
> > Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
> >
> > Slice shortbread dough thinly and bake on a silpat or parchment paper
> > for 12 to 15 minutes. The shortbread will still be blonde, and they
> > will crisp once cool.

> Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
> posting it.
>
> And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.

Sorry, I mis-posted. Should have been wheat reduced, not wheat free!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:39:14 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> Cornmeal Shortbread

> >> 1 cup butter
> >> 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
> >> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> >> 2 cups flour
> >> 6 tablespoons cornmeal, plus more for coating
> >> 3/4 teaspoon salt

> >And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.

> Uhh.... Flour is wheat free? LOL.
>
> Christine

My bad. I reposted about that. Sorry. <blush>

I've been awake for awhile.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:47:45 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

<big snip>

>> Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
>> posting it.
>>
>> And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.

>Sorry, I mis-posted. Should have been wheat reduced, not wheat free!

Actually it's very interesting. So I make it a lot. Wheat isn't a
problem for me so I don't understand that end of it. I'm wondering if
maybe you could replace half the flour with it? I don't understand
the properties of each but I'd be willing to try it.

So I just put 2 sticks of butter in a bowl to soften. You bad OM!! I
didn't plan on this today. I have the masa and everything else so
it's worth a try unless you or someone else tells me it won't work.
The KA is at the cottage to I'll have to use the hand mixer but it
should be fine.

I'll report back with pictures. (maybe)

OH! Rolling the logs is easiest by rough forming them in a buttered
baking dish and rocking it back and forth.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:47:45 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>
> >> Okay, that's a TOTALLY different recipe! Sounds interesting. Thanks for
> >> posting it.
> >>
> >> And it's wheat free which is good for me as well as others.

> >Sorry, I mis-posted. Should have been wheat reduced, not wheat free!

> Actually it's very interesting. So I make it a lot. Wheat isn't a
> problem for me so I don't understand that end of it. I'm wondering if
> maybe you could replace half the flour with it? I don't understand
> the properties of each but I'd be willing to try it.

I can tolerate limited amounts of wheat, so long as I don't pig out on
it.

> So I just put 2 sticks of butter in a bowl to soften. You bad OM!! I
> didn't plan on this today. I have the masa and everything else so
> it's worth a try unless you or someone else tells me it won't work.
> The KA is at the cottage to I'll have to use the hand mixer but it
> should be fine.
>
> I'll report back with pictures. (maybe)

<snicker>
They are good cookies and oh GODS the childhood memories shorbreads have
for me! It'd be worth the indigestion. ;-)

> OH! Rolling the logs is easiest by rough forming them in a buttered
> baking dish and rocking it back and forth.
>
> Lou

Mom rolled them between two sheets of waxed paper.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that authentic
> recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

The recipe from the Southern Cook Book 322 old Dixie Recipes Copyright 1939
calls for the following:

Short'n nin' Bread

4 cups Flour
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Pound Butter

Mix Flour & Sugar - add butter
Place on a floured surface and pat to 1/2 inch thickness.
Cut into desired shapes and bake in a moderate oven (325-350F) for 20 to 25
minutes.

I am nor sure this is the same as shortbread as the shortbread recipes I
have use white sugar & more butter.

i.e. Betty Croker 3/4 cup butter 1/4 cup sugar 2 cups flour.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
>> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
>> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
>> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
>> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
>> authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
>> ‚‚Ý
>>

>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> Email, with obvious alterations:
>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.

The Scottish shortbread recipe that I use calls for confectioners sugar.
My mother's shortbread recipe calls for brown sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 06 Jan 2009 06:08:24p, Dave Smith told us...

> Omelet wrote:
>
>>> There has been a thread on shortbread and shortenin' bread in
>>> alt.usage.english of all places. From what I can tell of the recipes,
>>> Scottish shortbread and American Southern Shortenin' bread ("Mamas's
>>> little baby loves ...") are identical, contain an almost unbelievable
>>> amount of butter and taste great. Is my impression correct that
>>> authentic recipes contain only butter, brown sugar and flour?
>>> ‚‚Ý
>>>

>>> James Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland
>>>
>>> Email, with obvious alterations:
>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>> Shortbread that I'm familiar with is flour, butter and powdered sugar.

> The Scottish shortbread recipe that I use calls for confectioners sugar.
> My mother's shortbread recipe calls for brown sugar.

I always thought that Scottish shortbread contained butter, flour, and
brown sugar, was baked in one piece with portions scored, then cut through
while still hot. I also thought that English shortbread contained butter,
flour, and either castor or powdered sugar, and was cut into finger-like
pieces before baking.

Whichever is which, they're both delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/06(VI)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 5dys 5hrs 23mins
When money talks there are few interruptions.

Shortbread 3 notbob General Cooking 7 05-12-2009 01:30 AM
Shortbread again notbob General Cooking 9 22-11-2009 06:05 AM
Shortbread Kathy General Cooking 2 16-12-2005 09:39 AM
Bread flour in Shortbread recipie...results baker1 Baking 0 08-11-2005 04:36 AM
Bread flour for shortbread? baker1 Baking 6 02-11-2005 11:54 PM