Jenn Ridley

Default gas oven

"Alan" > wrote:

>i'd like to know how's the gas oven works?any web site or someone could give me the infos?
>thanks

A gas oven works by burning natural gas (or propane, if it's a propane
stove).

When you turn on the oven, a valve opens, and the gas starts flowing.
An electric ignitor lights the gas. A thermostat tracks the
temperature, and when it gets high, the gas turns off, and when the
temperature gets low, the gas turns back on again (just like a
furnace).

Some older gas ovens have a pilot light instead of an electric ignitor
(a small flame is always burning below the oven floor, and when the
gas is turned on, it ignites). Some really old gas ovens don't have
any kind of internal ignitor at all, and need to be lit with a match.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley