Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindy Fuller Cindy Fuller is offline

Default Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
> to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
> arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
> my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
> and follow the original directions?
>
> I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
> Lynn in Fargo

Here's the way to do it: Crumble up vermicelli into rice-size chunks.
Heat olive oil in pan and saute vermicelli in it until it begins to
brown. Stir in the rice, then the broth or water. Simmer until the
rice is done. The proportion of vermicelli to rice to broth is 1:2:4
(i.e., 1/2 c. vermicelli, 1 c. rice, and 2 c. broth).

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me