Frogleg

Default Of Marshmallows & Jello, etc.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:51:41 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>I found in a 1979 cookbook I own recently a
>recipe for something like "Boeuf en Gelee". Apparently they hadn't given up
>on JeLLO yet. This recipe called for thinly sliced rare pot roast chilled
>in gelatin (which was prepared with beef broth). It had this odd looking
>carrot/green bean criss-cross pattern placed in the bottom of the mold
>before the beef and gelatin was added. So you turn the mold up and it's...
>beef in gelatin with carrots and green beans! GROSS.

Meat, poultry, eggs, or fish presented "en gelee", that is, cooled and
covered with an aspic made with perfectly clear meat or veg broth and
unflavored gelatin (not Jell-O) is far from "gross." It is a rather
time-consuming process, particularly if the aspic is painted on or
ladled over the dish in several steps so as to enclose decorative and
colorful garnishes. Somewhat less so when the garnish is arranged in
the bottom of a mold, aspic ladled over, and the meat (or pate or
mousse) placed on top. It's a long way from baby marshmallows in
cherry Jell-O. :-)