PENMART01

Default Of Marshmallows & Jello, etc.

---> http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
> ---> http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

I've always loved this site . I found in a 1979 cookbook I own recently a
recipe for something like "Boeuf en Gelee". Apparently they hadn't given up
on JeLLO yet. This recipe called for thinly sliced rare pot roast chilled
in gelatin (which was prepared with beef broth). It had this odd looking
carrot/green bean criss-cross pattern placed in the bottom of the mold
before the beef and gelatin was added. So you turn the mold up and it's...
beef in gelatin with carrots and green beans! GROSS.

Another cookbook I bought for about 95 cents at a used book shop suggested
canned tuna in lime JeLLO as a cold 'salad' dish. Gag. I should send
photos to Lile.

Jill

Jill

AzuReBlue

In article >, penmart01
@aol.como says...
> ---> http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

omg..this site is hilarious! Does it ever bring back the memories. I
actually own a cookbook that could be featured on this site..."Jiffy
Cooking". It contains such gems as "Easy Perfection Salad" which has
lemon jello, vinegar and sauerkraut as main ingredients..<yukkkk!> or
the tasty "Chevron Rice Bake" that contains luncheon meat (heh), and
drained peach halves. Another features dill pickles on a stick ("pickle
sickles") for that teenage record party!

Thanks for the great link...I'm gonna go browse the "cookin' with Dr.
Pepper" section now!

--
blue
jmcquown

wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:51:41 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> PENMART01 wrote:
>>> --->
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

>>> Sheldon
>>> ````````````
>>> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

>> Another cookbook I bought for about 95 cents at a used book shop
>> suggested canned tuna in lime JeLLO as a cold 'salad' dish. Gag. I
>> should send photos to Lile.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Well wait a minute. Recently I was at a do where a person I know,who
> is a really good cook, had made some sandwiches. The people who took
> one, were back fast for more. I tried it and really liked it. They
> were tuna but I just could not name what the flavouring was.
>
> I have the recipe as I asked her for it and when she gave it to me she
> said, "You liked them when you ate them, so don't be put off, or
> laugh!"
>
> Tuna Sandwiches
>
> Dissolve 1 pkg. lime Jello in 1/4 cup boiling water. Let

(snip)
> Sheena

Perhaps... but you didn't see the tuna wobble in a mountain of green Jello,
did you? (laughing)

Jill

Charlemange

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >...
> PENMART01 wrote:
> > ---> http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

I actually own of of those horrid classic Better Homes cookbooks but
it's the salad one from 1958. I got it at Savers. I did see the 1969
version of the Meat one at another thrift store and was tempted to buy
it just for yuks (pun intended.)

Frogleg

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:51:41 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>I found in a 1979 cookbook I own recently a
>recipe for something like "Boeuf en Gelee". Apparently they hadn't given up
>on JeLLO yet. This recipe called for thinly sliced rare pot roast chilled
>in gelatin (which was prepared with beef broth). It had this odd looking
>carrot/green bean criss-cross pattern placed in the bottom of the mold
>before the beef and gelatin was added. So you turn the mold up and it's...
>beef in gelatin with carrots and green beans! GROSS.

Meat, poultry, eggs, or fish presented "en gelee", that is, cooled and
covered with an aspic made with perfectly clear meat or veg broth and
unflavored gelatin (not Jell-O) is far from "gross." It is a rather
time-consuming process, particularly if the aspic is painted on or
ladled over the dish in several steps so as to enclose decorative and
colorful garnishes. Somewhat less so when the garnish is arranged in
the bottom of a mold, aspic ladled over, and the meat (or pate or
mousse) placed on top. It's a long way from baby marshmallows in
cherry Jell-O. :-)
jmcquown

Frogleg wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:51:41 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> I found in a 1979 cookbook I own recently a
>> recipe for something like "Boeuf en Gelee". Apparently they hadn't
>> given up on JeLLO yet. This recipe called for thinly sliced rare
>> pot roast chilled in gelatin (which was prepared with beef broth).
>> It had this odd looking carrot/green bean criss-cross pattern placed
>> in the bottom of the mold before the beef and gelatin was added. So
>> you turn the mold up and it's... beef in gelatin with carrots and
>> green beans! GROSS.

> Meat, poultry, eggs, or fish presented "en gelee", that is, cooled and
> covered with an aspic made with perfectly clear meat or veg broth and
> unflavored gelatin (not Jell-O) is far from "gross." It is a rather
> time-consuming process, particularly if the aspic is painted on or
> ladled over the dish in several steps so as to enclose decorative and
> colorful garnishes. Somewhat less so when the garnish is arranged in
> the bottom of a mold, aspic ladled over, and the meat (or pate or
> mousse) placed on top. It's a long way from baby marshmallows in
> cherry Jell-O. :-)

I know what unflavoured gelatin is. And to me, to present beef and veggies
in a chilled gelatin mold is still *gross*. Sorry, but I hate aspic, too

Jill

jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "jmcquown" > deliciously posted in
> :
>
>> Frogleg wrote:
>>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:51:41 -0500, "jmcquown"

or fish presented "en gelee", that is, cooled
>>> and covered with an aspic made with perfectly clear meat or veg
>>> broth and unflavored gelatin (not Jell-O) is far from "gross."

>> I know what unflavoured gelatin is. And to me, to present beef and
>> veggies in a chilled gelatin mold is still *gross*. Sorry, but I
>> hate aspic, too
>>
>> Jill

> I had the best aspic years ago. It was of a beef/tomato base (I
> think). It had chopped egg and Beluga on it. It was wonderful but I
> never got the recipe. I honestly do not remember what other
> ingredients were involved. Whoever made it went to some effort and
> expense. We were all wasted at a high profile bash in Columbus Ohio.

> Michael <- slopping around in the 80s

There was a high profile bash in Columbus Ohio?! Geez, and to think I missed
it! (laughing) There is a seafood place that serves shrimp in aspic which
is a tomato based thing... still looks disgusting to me.

Jill

I burnt my marshmallows Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 6 30-03-2012 02:11 AM
Homemade Marshmallows Mimi Pass Recipes (moderated) 0 22-08-2006 03:32 AM
Mike's Marshmallows Marlene Wood Tea 1 14-08-2005 07:57 AM
Marshmallows Treats Tim Recipes 0 20-07-2005 11:02 PM
I Got Vegan Marshmallows! Momzilla Vegan 2 13-10-2003 01:46 PM