Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default The continuing saga of my correspondence with Jarden

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:01:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
> >This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
> >the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
> >their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
> >imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
> >manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
> >preserving.
> >
> >An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
> >this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
> >have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
> >unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
> >products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
> >our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
> >so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
> >shelf without damage.
> >
> >Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
> >thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
> >scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
> >may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
> >increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."
> >
> >In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.
> >
> >FWIW.

> The containers for Ball jars say "Made in the USA."

Heh! I never thought to even pay any attention to the cardboard tray
thang.

> On the older boxes it is in small print. On the newer ones it is in
> large print with an American flag. Now whether it means everything
> was made in the USA or just the boxes is anybody's guess.

> It is a shame that we can no longer take these messages at face value.
> Last year I was looking at BWB canners. One of the popular ones
> around here (blue speckled) had nice signs on it that said "Made in
> the USA." However when you looked at the rack inside it was "Made in
> China."

I was given some Ball half pints jars with embossing like today's Kerr
jars - just the name 'Ball' embossed. Jars say Made in U.S.A. on the
bottoms.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise